Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rebuild ignitions

Default rebuild ignitions

I saw someone post recently that the older 912 GREEN ignitions could be sent out to be rebuilt for roughly $300. I think they were refering to a company in Europe. The rebuild had "soft start capabilities" Has anyone done this and do you have a contact?
    Thx

Jared

Default Re: rebuild ignitions

This was the source I found. I did not use their services so I have no knowledge of what they can or cannot do.

Link
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I recently purchased an early model rotax 912 with the old hot box ignition system for my Kitfox. I wanted to change the ignition system over to the small black modules but after researching, I found it very expensive.

I researched http://www.sdsefi.com/cpi.htm and bought their system. They are located in Canada and only at a fraction of the cost.

Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Hi Paul, do you have the CPI ignition system on both sets of plugs or just one? What are your thoughts on this system. How much have you used it? JImChuk

I have the same questions as Jim. I have been dealing with ignition issues on my 912 since the beginning of time and ready to try something different that doesn't break the bank.

I finished the install about a month ago and have about 15 hours on it now. I have it for both sets of plugs on all four cylinders on my 912. There are 2 heavy duty coil pack modules that I have mounted with brackets I fabricated just forward of the coolant fill tank. The kit comes complete with plenty of plug wire if you you wanted to mount the modules on the firewall. For less than $1200, I think this is a great deal.

One thing I wasn't too crazy about was the display module. I think it's a little outdated and I had a tough time locating a place on my panel to install it. I have a full panel and even thought of mounting it in my glove compartment. I ended up mounting it on a hinge and it drops down into my glare shield. Once the installation is complete and timing is set, I lock in all the parameter timing settings. I only use the screen during run up.

If you look at the picture for the Rotax, you'll see there isn't much to it.

I did have to call the company once, since the bell housing on my early model Rotax 912 is a little different than the later engines. They weren't aware of the difference and I made a simple fabricated bracket to mount the Hall sensor.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Thank you Paul! Since I have an older model engine also (1996?) I may run into the same issue with the mounting bracket. Definitely a better price than replacing the parts from Rotax. I think it is the harness on my engine, but it has been a constant fight to keep things working and I need to either replace it or buy the SDS.

I did notice on the SDS site that it looks lo only cover one set (4) plugs, I understand you have replaced both sets? The total cost was only $1200 total for the complete system for both sets of plugs? I need to seriously look into it some more.

I failed to mention, I REALLY like it and it's a much cleaner and organized mounting system than what we are used to seeing on most Kitfox's. I'll post some pictures of my setup.

If you're having ignition issues, I think you should look into this system.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Thanks for the reply Paul. I emailed them a few weeks ago, and they quoted me $850 for one side. Did you get a discount for going with both sides, or did the prices go up? Some pictures would be nice as well. Thanks, JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    I have an older model engine also (1996?)

1996 housing isn't the older housing. I think my engine is around 1991 or 1992 era. You won't need to make any mounting adjustments with their basic set up.

Also, the picture on their website for the Rotax only shows one Grey module. You'll need two modules for all 8 spark plugs.

Call Barry or Ross at CPI (403) 671-4015 for a price quote. I'm sure you'll be happy with their prices.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster