Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 915is Updates in the Kitfox?

Default Re: 915is Updates in the Kitfox?

It would almost be pointless to have this engine without a constant speed prop. Rumour has it that it has to be hydraulic so that rules out airmaster and pretty much only leaves GT/MT propellers
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Just wondering if the prop and hub would come straight from rotax or other combinations would work since it is automatic with the 915is

I'd like to know whose hydraulic constant speed prop falls into the the MMOI requirements laid out by Rotax for the gearbox. Or did they strengthen the gearbox to handle a higher inertia?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I believe the Whirlwind CS meets it.
    James T
    Valrico, FL

MT makes hydraulic propellers for Rotax engines, installed on Diamond da-20 aircraft.

https://www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/pro_hydr.htm

Here is a quick update on the 915is
    As many of you have figured out we are working on the firewall forward package for the 915iS. We have 1 of 3 915iS prototype engines available and have been working on a mock-up airframe to determine many things. We were concerned we would need completely new cowlings and possibly a completely different setup. Rotax made some changes from the 912iS that complicated the install. The Turbo is larger, the exhaust is much larger, a larger oil cooler and unlike the 914, the 915 REQUIRES an intercooler. We have been able to make some small changes for most the install and needed to make a custom intercooler and ducting to the intercooler. The firewall forward is also going to need Teflon hoses due to the tight routing.
    Currently the engine requires a hydraulic constant speed prop. The only one available is MT.. that will change fairly quickly as there are others working on props now. The single lever control is a topic for another post.
    We are now removing the Titan from the STi in preparation for the 915. If all goes well we should have an engine run close to the end of the month.
    The Titan has been a solid engine with great performance and I would not hesitate to use this engine as the Lycoming/Continental alternative engine for the Kitfox.
    The complete Titan firewall forward and engine are now available if anyone is interested. Contact us directly for pricing.
    We’re looking forward to flying the 915!

More details to come...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Kool stuff happening at the factory!

It will be very interesting to see the real performance difference and the final weight numbers between the Titan and the 915 on the same airframe!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I am favorably impressed with the advancements made by Kitfox and their contribution to furthering flying for fun. Some time ago the factory assured me they support earlier Kitfox models. Great!!
    I get concerned when i read about all these advancements, particularly those that move the Kitfox from the aircraft category with low gross weights and non-complex controls so necessary for attracting pilots wanting to fly for fun using their drivers license instead of an FAA medical. I am a private licensed pilot since 1959 but today fly on my drivers license. The model IV is perfect for me today. I hope these models with fixed pitch props will always be available. Otherwise, the Kitfox will progress itself right out the aircraft category it pioneered so successfully.
    I am for progress, but would hate to see the loss of this basic "first" airplane.
    Kitfox, please continue to develop and provide your basic airplane.
    Bud
    IV Speedster
    912 UL
    IVO ground adjustable

Bud,
    No threat.. We keep our eye keenly on the future but stay firmly in touch with our past. The Kitfox simply shows how well it does in both environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Davidson View Post
    I am favorably impressed with the advancements made by Kitfox and their contribution to furthering flying for fun. Some time ago the factory assured me they support earlier Kitfox models. Great!!

I am for progress, but would hate to see the loss of this basic "first" airplane.
    Kitfox, please continue to develop and provide your basic airplane.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

Now for the single lever control..
    This is an interesting subject. It is NOT being proposed in the ASTM or even through the FAA.. it is being talked about and politically pushed in certain circles. No light in sight that I have seen. We can all agree that the CS props should be allowed with the Light Sport and hopefully someday the FAA will catch up to the future.
    The single lever is not Rotax.. It is actually a governor that is electronically controlled (instead of cable controlled). The only Engine Management Unit (EMU) that controls the governor currently is the Stock Flight Systems EMU for the 912iS and 915iS. Rotax, MT and Stock work closely on this program.
    Yes the prop can still be cable controlled as any Hydraulic CS prop.
    I'm sure there will be more developments regarding the single lever.. for the 915iS it is currently an MT prop, Electronic Governor and the Stock Flight Systems EMU. I suspect AirMaster will have a prop and I know there is another that may be available in the Fall. Hopefully Garmin, Dynon, GRT, MGL will come on board with the software to control the electronic governor.
    I should mention the the 915 can be operated with a fixed pitch but one would not be able to take advantage of the full potential of the engine.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com