Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an easy to use comm handheld radio

Default Looking for an easy to use comm handheld radio

Hi Guys,
    Believe it or not I own a Narco HT830 handheld made in the 1980's that was going to be my primary comm radio in my Piper Vagabond. The Vag was sold but the radio lives one. The second battery is long dead and works on AC power only. I'm looking for a super easy to use comm only hand held as a back up radio and home field base radio. I don't want something I need to read the manual every time I need to change the freq. I know icom makes a good radio, but sounds like they are complicated to use. Does anyone use a Yaesu? Or are there any other options?
    thx
    jay

Default Re: Looking for an easy to use comm handheld radio

I have a Vertex Standard VXA-710. Do not buy one of these if you want something easy to use. I'm very technical, but I cannot figure out the operating logic for the life of me. It doesn't make a very good occasional use backup.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Jay,

The Sporty's SP-400 is one of the easiest to use, if not the easiest. It's a good unit and very intuitive. It is a full Nav/Comm with VOR, localizer and glideslope. The display is large and very readable, and it has nice, big, lighted keypad.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Jay,
    I agree with John... years ago I got a Sporty's SP-200 to use as a backup in my Cessna 172...which is crazy because it had two navcoms in it... anyway... the Sporty's is easy and I have never had a problem with it.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

I have a Vertex Standard Pro V 220, and I find it very easy to use. I have a 150 V S as well. Have a Sporty's SP 200 in my Kitfox 1, and it doesn't seem to have sidetone (can't hear myself in the headphones) I set the Pro V 220 up with the channels I use on memory, and it works great. Can't beat the price either. JImChuk

Totally agree with John on the Sporty's SP-400. I keep the optional headset adapter plugs attached to the radio so if I need to use it I can quickly plug it into my headset.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks guys! I just took a quick look at the SP-400 and it's a little on the pricey side, but looks exactly what I'm looking for. I just don't think I'll use the nav function. Who does these days with GPS? I'll drop a hint to Santa (wife) and see what she says...
    Jay

Ok, maybe I better rethink this. There seem to be a lot of negative reviews. Low power, short battery life, and just too fragile are the most common complaints. But then there are a few really good reviews too.

Interesting discussion. Anyone have any experience with the new Icom A25?

Thanks,
    Clark

The reasons I like the Sporty's SP400 as a backup is that it functions both as a backup radio AND a backup navigator. If my Dynon Skyview screen ever goes dark my SP400 VOR function is my navigation backup. So I don't need another GPS backup, saving weight and clutter in the cockpit. I also don't worry about battery life because I have the 12v adapter that allows me to plug my SP400 into my ship's 12v "cigarette" lighter.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS