Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aoa

Default Aoa

Hi folks,

Who is using an AOA in their planes?, How did you do the calibration, with/without flaps and what AOA system are you using. Would you install one again, same one?

Jim

Default Re: Aoa

I have a Dynon D810 in the Mangy. It uses one of their "double" pitot tubes.

They have a procedure to calibrate both with and without flaps. I have been very happy with the performance. There is a visual display on the Dynon screen and had an audio output that I put into the intercom system.

I would install it again.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I did the Garmin AOA with the G3X Touch display and I really like it. It displays on the screen and has an aural warning too that goes from slow beeping to full on sound as you approach the stall. The AOA was very easy to calibrate.

Normally I just use the aural warning to give me an idea of how close the wing is to stalling when I am doing STOL landings.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I have the Advanced 5600 with AOA. Cal proceedure is straight forward. AOA is a welcome addition to flight safety and makes for better landings. Would miss it if not there.

You can hear mine in this video at the 17:30 mark.

https://youtu.be/HEJNI77TZFg
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

This may sound a bit strange to some, but I've always wondered if you just kept really good notes on your planes stall speeds as if you were calibrating an AOA, and then you put your findings somewhere on your panel as a reminder of speeds to use, wouldn't that be just as effective as an AOA?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just wondering if someone can convince me how wrong I am?

A wing can stall at any speed but has only one critical angle of attack.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Yeah, I agree. But when you calibrate it you are primarily identifying at what speed and angle the wing begins losing lift, right? Again, maybe I'm still missing something? But with such a docile airfoil as the Kitfox has that gives you a shaking and shuddering prior to stalling, isn't that much like having an AOA alarm going off, telling you the wing is about done flying?

For the record, I would see an AOA as a huge benefit to a fast aircraft like a Glasair 3, a F-18, with a stall that is abrupt. Without one it's likely the average pilot is going to fly it at the lower speed of the envelope much faster than is really needed, in fear of a stall close to the ground.*

But heck, I've been flying like that for the last 40+ years. As I tell my friends, unless I need to get into a super tight strip, "I give it an extra 5 or 10 mph for Mom as she appreciates that"

But to go into a super short strip I fly just above the stall (onset of airframe buffeting) and carry power to control descent. And of course that airframe buffeting happens at a different speed when heavy verses light, etc. So you have to learn your airplane well, as those numbers change based on a bunch of variables.

Would that be different if I had an AOA? Again, I'm just curious to learn what I might not understand...

Yeah, I agree. But when you calibrate it you are primarily identifying at what speed and angle the wing begins losing lift, right? Again, maybe I'm still missing something? But with such a docile airfoil as the Kitfox has that gives you a shaking and shuddering prior to stalling, isn't that much like having an AOA alarm going off, telling you the wing is about done flying?

For the record, I would see an AOA as a huge benefit to a fast aircraft with a stall that is abrupt. Without an AOA in those aircraft it's likely the average pilot is going to fly it at the lower speed of the envelope much faster than is really needed, in fear of a stall close to the ground.* But heck, I've been flying like that for the last 40+ years. As I tell my friends, unless I need to get into a super tight strip, "I give it an extra 5 or 10 mph for Mom as she really appreciates that"

But to go into a super short strip I fly just above the stall (near onset of airframe buffeting) and carry power to control descent. And of course that airframe buffeting happens at a different speed when heavy verses light, etc. So you have to learn your airplane well, as those numbers change based on a bunch of variables.

Would that be different if I had an AOA? Again, I'm just curious to learn what I might not understand...