Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

Ben - John has a stripe! that is highly ornate compared to yours!!!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Hi Brian,
    I’ve posted many, but probably my #222 posting shows most everything... there have been just a couple of minor changes since then.
    It’s old-school round gauges, Garmin GTR 200 comm & GTX 327 transponder, iFly 740 GPS, uAvionix ads-b in & out, Tru Trak single axis autopilot, etc.
    Found the pics, thanks, I like that panel, I haven't decided if I'm going that route or a single glass screen. Will depend on the cost. When I start adding up the cost of steam gauges and engine instruments and GPS, Glass looks as cheap............haven't written down hard numbers yet, do due a side by side comparison. Maybe someone else has, and can share that info. Thanks again.
    Brian

I did do a quick & dirty compilation of the expense but I didn’t save the numbers. At the time it was actually a little cheaper than all-glass for me - considerably cheaper compared to some brands, but I didn’t choose based on price... it was strictly just what I wanted. There are some old-fashioned somewhat philosophical reasons why I did it that way... very personal, and wouldn’t make alot of common sense to many builders. Life is short... try to do whatever makes you happy.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    ...it was strictly just what I wanted. There are some old-fashioned somewhat philosophical reasons why I did it that way... very personal, and wouldn’t make alot of common sense to many builders. Life is short... try to do whatever makes you happy.
    My thinking exactly. But for me, I guess, largely due to the date of the first entry in my Pilot Log Book dated 3/2/71 - old habits and lots of "muscle memory" over the years.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    My thinking exactly. But for me, I guess, largely due to the date of the first entry in my Pilot Log Book dated 3/2/71 - old habits and lots of "muscle memory" over the years.
    Mine is early '70's also, Lowell. I agree that this is probably part of it for me too.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I finally got my lift struts done and painted. Not much to do now... just some mods to the turtledeck cover after I mount the wings. Gosh it feels good to see the end approaching. I carefully cut and fitted the fairings to minimize the amount of fill necessary at the junction. I'm sure the look isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it suits me. The paint is my usual mediocre, amateur job... a definite 10 footer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

pretty much looks like mine. Only diff is that I laid in Super Fill on that joint between the leading and trailing fairings, I mean more super fill than yours. Looks good to me. What kind of paint are you applying John? Did you use primer as well?
    Eddie

Looks great, John. Those fairings are a LOT of work. Just curious, how did you deal with the gap on the trailing edge for the relief cut?

Incidentally, I had to put drain holes in the vicinity of the strut intersection to let water out. Weather gets in at the jury strut brackets and collects inside the fairing.

Thanks for all your posts!

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    pretty much looks like mine. Only diff is that I laid in Super Fill on that joint between the leading and trailing fairings, I mean more super fill than yours. Looks good to me. What kind of paint are you applying John? Did you use primer as well?
    Eddie
    I did use primer, Eddie. The paint is PPG Concept DDC acrylic urethane.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Floog View Post
    Looks great, John. Those fairings are a LOT of work. Just curious, how did you deal with the gap on the trailing edge for the relief cut?

Incidentally, I had to put drain holes in the vicinity of the strut intersection to let water out. Weather gets in at the jury strut brackets and collects inside the fairing.

Thanks for all your posts!
    I used a piece of balsa wood, tapered from 1” down to a point, Doug. Sealed it against moisture before bonding it in place with Hysol. I formed a drain hole at the bottom, which you can probably see in the picture. I plan to seal around the jury strut brackets with white silicone sealer after installation. BTW, I also made new brackets out of S.S. Instead of the factory supplied aluminum ones. The reason for that is a long story.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime