Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stall spins

Default Stall spins

I have read all of the NTSB reports for fatalities, and having watched Trent most recent video, it seems the PRELIMINARY (I am not trying to speculate, hence the separate post) cause was the same thing that caused most of the fatalities.

That makes me ask, what is it about this design that lends itself to the stall spin scenario? Is it the flaperons and the adverse yaw (that I thought was mostly mitigated with differential aileron control) or something else? Is it maybe something as simple as the way these get flown by some, being bush planes and all?

Default Re: Stall spins

Low and slow and steep turns ican bite you no matter what type plane your in.

The final report will be whatever it is.

That being said, All of us should know that Loss-of-control (LOC) accidents are at the top of the stats,
    and stall-related events is a leading contender in LOC accidents.

Because of all this, I will be doing a lot of reviewing of what I'm already supposed to know
    and get some quality Kitfox type-specific training prior to flying my plane like Stick & Rudder.

Food for thought....

http://www.aviationsafetymagazine.co...s_11245-1.html
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

The design is not more suseptible to spins. In fact it’s hard to keep in a spin.

Get spin training. Obviously spinning 150’ above the ground is never is never going to end up well but that training might stop you from getting into that situation.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

We are taught that a spin can only result if the airplane is stalled and that stalls are caused by exceeding the critical angle of attack.

But burn this into your memory, the only thing that really causes a stall is the pilot pulling back on the stick.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I fly a 182, and my home airport is in a tight valley such that when I turn in the pattern it has to be steeper than what one would normally do. I am glued to airspeed. It is a wake up call when you realize how quickly airspeed can drop when overlooked for just a few seconds. I think Nikk's crash is a good reminder to not get complacent (not that complacency caused the accident but I think it's likely). It can happen to any pilot no matter the level of experience.

Stall speed is a misnomer. As others are saying, remember a stall happens regardless of speed it’s all about AOA. There is a reason business jets, well most all jets have and use AOA. We calculate ref speed based off of weight and temperature and that gets us close. Stall protection is based off of AOA. I have been on ref speed, (approach speed) and due to turbulence had the stick shaker go off. It’s pretty interesting to watch AOA jump around in turbulance and especially in a turn. Interesting facts below from web

Assuming a stall speed of 50 knots in level flight, at 60 degrees angle of bank the stall speed will increase by the square root of the load factor +2 (√2), which is approx 1.4. This means that, at 60 degrees angle of bank, the stall speed is increased by 40% to 70 knots.

Just a comment based on my own experience in my SS7. I have taken it up to about 5000' AGL several times to explore stall characteristics and have plenty of altitude to recover from whatever. Having gotten a pretty good feel for the stall characteristics power on and off, straight and in moderate turns, I decided to explore the envelope for accelerated stalls. I have tried speeds from very slow to 90 mph and then suddenly pull hard elevator in a steep, 60 to 70 degrees, turn. I could not get it to do an accelerated stall. It would always whip around very quickly and lose speed quickly while the nose would drop and put me into a fairly steep spiral dive. Nothing I could do with elevator or rudder would keep the nose even close to level. It would spiral down, NOT stalled, and could be easily flown out of the spiral at any time. Now I am no test pilot and maybe there are ways to stall it in this kind of maneuver, but I could not do it. Bottom line to me, it seems like an extremely safe aircraft that wants to naturally keep itself flying. But I got to thinking about Nik's accident, where he appeared to make a very steep abrupt turn low to the ground. In this condition your nose WILL go down even if you are not stalled, and there may not be enough altitude to recover.

Wondering if anyone else has explored this part of the envelope and what your results were?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Yeah Jim, I did the same trials up high. I didn't push it right to the limits but certainly exaggerated a tight turn base-final and nothing. I have since installed an angle of attack indicated that I love. It is interesting to watch how it goes from green to yellow when simulating a tight base-final turn and red right on a stall 3 pt landing. It also indicates how turbulence can put the aircraft close to stall (red lights) very quickly on a final approach without sufficient buffer to compensate. Of course, we all know this in theory but I now use the AOA indicator over airspeed as my primary guide in tight manoeuvres and turbulent approaches.

I think it has been a very good investment that gives accurate and real time indications of how close to a stall you are and I also find it to be an excellent training aide.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

If you want to do an accelerated stall, try a high banked and steep climbing turn and pull the stick back all the way quite quickly - but just be aware there is a dynamic effect that may not stall the wing initially, but just hold it in because it ultimately will. Then if you want some real excitement, try it again put full rudder on and skid it. Be prepared to end up on your back, but you'd better know how to get out of that one ...

Did all this recently in some upset and recovery training in a Super Decathlon. Worth every $.
    Last edited by David47; 11-18-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    David
    SS7 Builder

David, did you do this in a Kitfox or was it a Decathlon? Not saying it won't work in a Kitfox, but I think the Kitfox may behave differently in some maneuvers due to flaperons, etc.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS