Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flaperon control tube break

Default Flaperon control tube break

This is the first I've seen of this- just wondering if anybody else has seen/ experienced this:

https://www.caa.govt.nz/assets/legac...CAN-27-012.pdf

Usually its a hanger break, not the tube.

Thanks,
    Joey

Default Re: Flaperon control tube break

I wonder if this failure is resultant from frequent wing folding, and failure to set the flaps right before folding: but that could be the secondary factor, dissimilar metals certainly sets the stage for disappointment somewhere out in the future ..

This sounds like what happened to me in July on an older model 7. It seemed like a great short final until the right wing dropped away an would not come back. I just attributed it to slow approach and lack of air flow over the flaperon . Now that I look back it happened on take off a couple times as well. How many hours were on that airframe and what model?

Your saying your control tube broke also? Or are you saying you flew with similar symptoms as if your control tube broke but it was something else you cannot figure out?

I never looked to see why it happen but the plane was totaled . We had spent all winter going through the plane and did not notice any air frame problems. There was bent and broken tubing in several spots after the accident. But it was the same type of accident. I was also thinking something could not have been adjusted just right. This is why I would never build one because you would need to be a very smart person to get all the wings and flaperons just right. Am not an engineer

Oh! I am sorry for your accident. Hopefully everyone is okay. I can see the possible dangers of folding the wings and accidentally bending or stressing this attachment point.

I saw this on the Kitfox owners FB page. Without putting the fracture surfaces under a microscope and looking to see what actually happened, the combination of corrosion and fatigue is a pretty fair stab by the NZ regulator at the reason for failure. From a design point, you have a step change in stiffness at that joint and that will exacerbate potential for problems, much like you have for an electrical cable coming out of a power socket. It's a riveted connection so regular inspection for cracks around the circumference of the aluminium tube at that joint is probably a good idea.
    David
    SS7 Builder