Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transponders

Default Re: Transponders

I have a GDL39-3D for ADS B in to a Garmin 660 GPS. For ADS B out, I have a Garmin GTX 335 with built in Waas GPS and altitude encoder. If I were doing it today, I would lean to micro Avionics. Things are changing quickly.

You guys all have some great "words of wisdom." Phil, I think you're absolutely right, wait until I'm ready to install, then decide what exactly I want.
    Bartman
    Retired USAF
    Kitfox 5
    N617BR

I now have a Trig tt31 transponder. When I bought the plane, it had a kt76a. The trig is a direct-slide in transponder to the kt76a tray. I think all I need now is a trig tn72 receiver and ta70 antenna (about $700 for both) and should be ads-b compliant. Still looking into that.
    Brad Smith
    KF Vixen IO-240
    Flying when I have gas money

I have the Dynon Skyview system and bought their mode S remote transponder (made by Trig I believe). When I was ready to add ads-b out the transponder was already compliant and all I had to do was buy a new WAAS GPS antenna puck.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

If you have an EFIS (and in particular MGL) then the Trig transponders tie in very well. You can buy just the TT21/TT22 box (remote transponder) and control it through the EFIS, so have no panel-mounted heads.

For me this is great, as it means the EFIS provides the extended squitter of the Mode S transponder with the GPS position and, thereby, provides ADSB Out. This is permitted under the 'experimental' rules of the UK and is a simple and cheap way of ensuring more people have ADSB Out (it is not mandated there). I do, however, appreciate the rules are different in the US but it might be an option to use for those aircraft that won't have ADSB mandated but think it's a good idea to have it.....just in a cheaper form.