Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with new Warp drive on my 582

Default Re: Help needed with new Warp drive on my 582

Berryboats. Send me a text with your name to 580-513-8153. I'll call you back. Be glad to discuss a method I learned from some other guys for setting each blade very accurately.

If your prop is too hard to move, are your bolts backed off enough???

Regards
    Rodney

Rodney,
    Others of us want to know your method also. Come on, let us all in on the method you use.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Not the one you are asking, but I've made a tool that clamps on the blade, and it has a laser attached to it. The laser will project a light across the hangar however far away the wall is. Mark that spot, and if the laser hits in the exact same spot on the second blade, you are as close as you can get. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Not the one you are asking, but I've made a tool that clamps on the blade, and it has a laser attached to it. The laser will project a light across the hangar however far away the wall is. Mark that spot, and if the laser hits in the exact same spot on the second blade, you are as close as you can get. JImChuk
    I saw that post in my search on this subject. Very good idea if the laser is bright enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Berryboats. Send me a text with your name to 580-513-8153. I'll call you back. Be glad to discuss a method I learned from some other guys for setting each blade very accurately.

If your prop is too hard to move, are your bolts backed off enough???

Regards
    Rodney
    Thanks for the offer. Next time I go out there I'll text you. Maybe tomorrow. And I had all the bolts and nuts just started, not even finger tight, and there is enough friction to make the blade jump.
    Jay

Poor man's blade adjusting tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Great idea there, TJ. I LIKE it! Now, where did I put that scrap waferboard....?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I also have the problem of the blade jumping when I try to turn it just a mite. The first blade is ok with all the bolts backed off, but when I tighten the bolts on that first blade just enough to hold it from moving, it adds enough friction to the other blades that they jump when moved. Maybe I'll try that "tool".
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I didn't get quite as fancy when I needed a blade wrench to adjust my prop. I took 2 1x2s approximately 18" long and screwed them together loosely at one end, slipped them over the blade and held the open together to move the blade. Worked great and only took a few minutes to put together.

Ralph

Here is how I measure my prop angles. I'm sure it's very close to what Avidflyer is doing too.

First, went to Amazon and bought a 12" Bosch level that also projects a laser dot. While I do the procedure in the hanger, the dot is bright enough to do on the ramp.

Since I have a Warpdrive prop, I take all my measurements at the tip of the prop.

First I level the prop using the bubble level in the Bosch. Then I take a measurement (distance) from the tip of the prop to the ground. I drop a plumb bob from the tip of the prop to the ground and using a black magic marker, make a dot on the ground.

Then I clamp the Bosch level to the tip of the prop. It projects the dot on to the hanger floor. I mark that dot on the floor with the magic marker.

I measure from the plumb bob dot to the laser dot and I have two sides of a right triangle. Using a little trig you solve for the included angle, and you have your prop pitch.

Then I pull the next prop into position, and instead of using a level, I all ready know how high the tip of the prop should be from the floor, and I use that measurement. Clamp the laser level to the tip of the second prop and see where the laser dot is on the floor.

It's not hard to adjust the second and third props to exactly hit the mark on the floor.

If I want to adjust the prop 1/2 a degree, say from 12 to 11.5, I calculate how far the leg of the triangle should be from the plumb bob dot, and measure along the floor to make a new dot. Then adjust each prop to hit that dot.

Sorry for the long explanation of the procedure, but am trying to be specific enough to give a complete procedure.

Hope that is useful to someone.

Regards
    Rodney