Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 120 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default EFWD Build

OK, I am going to post questions earlier in hopes of not having to fret over trial and error work. I am working on centering the flapperon in the jig and before I use an entire tree remaking the jig until I get it right I am wondering if someone might have a trick to drilling the spar hole so that when the flapperon is placed inside the block, the leading edge and trailing edges line up. I have drilled the spar hole right in the center of the seam but as you can see it does not align the edges correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: EFWD Build

You mentioned that the spar hole is centered, but your photo shows off center. May be the camera angle, but it still looks off center. The difference in the photos appear to be the same amount that your alignment is off.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Well, upon looking at it while removed from the spar, it appears your right. I placed the drill press bit in the crease but I think I may have not tightened down the deck of the press. I think it may have wandered. Thanks for your comment.
    Eddie

Personally I would forget drilling the spar hole just right. Drill it quite a bit oversize to make plenty of clearance for the spar. Then just butt your clamped blocks to the end of the flaperon, carefully lining up the leading and trailing edges with the split in the blocks. Then just trace around the flaperon end with a marker and your ready to bandsaw out the profile. Use the outboard end of the flaperon and you don't even need to drill a clearance hole for the spar.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim
    I wasnt thinking of the fact I was going to cut the hole out anyhow. Very much appreciated.

Eddie,

I'm far enough behind you in the build that I have no clue what this step involves. But I want to thank you for posting the question and others for answering. It's added to my list of threads to re-read and will obviously be helpful when I reach this stage.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Carl, these blocks that you make clamp (lightly) around the flaperon in order to have a means to level them when you are installing the control horns at the specified angle, and also later when you are rigging the flaperons on the wings and setting the control neutral and throws.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I'm trimming down the flapperon nylon bearing to the required 13/32 length. The manual says to measure "from" the flange. Can someone advise, do I include the flange in the overall measurement. The flange is 3/32 inch thick. Or do I put my ruler on the shoulder and measure out from that surface 13/32?
    Eddie

When ever I hear from the flange I go from the face, however, doing this bearings, shorter is better than longer or else they won't butt up tight to the tube. You will see what I mean when you assemble.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

You measure from the inside edge of the flange. Then when you slip the two bearing halves into the flaperon hinge and butt them up, the hinge will not be trapped tightly between the bearings but will be able to move side-to-side about a 1/16" or so. This allows it to line up with the inboard hinge bracket (on the wing trailing edge) without binding.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS