Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Full Flap Use

Default Re: Full Flap Use

I guess it all depends on what you call a short approach. I have done a 800ft, slow to 50, drop out and land doing a base to final over the numbers, but you have to slip, major. Now if you call a short approach about 1000 ft out. I can do that without a slip.

I think a lot of things depend on where you turn your final. what speeds you are using. my 3 point speed over the numbers is no more than 50. wheel landing about 55. and yes a full stall landing is about 35. your idle on your plane is going to be an upmost importance. I have mine about 500. if you have an idle at 1800, you are going to float down the runway.

I have an inflight adjustable prop, I have that flattened to take off setting when landing. that helps a bunch also. and finally you don't have to slip, at least I don't, if I find I'm a little to fast, push in the rudder and keep the wings level, this is on short final. that' opposite aileron, weird to do but works great. now I don't know if my vg's allow me to do that or not, so try that up high before doing it low.

I decided to revive this thread because I am almost to the point of riveting/bonding the flap detent brackets in place. The original post made mention of putting an additional detent between 1/2 and full flap, so this would be the 3/4 position. Correct?
    I’m wondering if this practice is still being done. Should I put the detent in the 3/4 position? Furthermore, what about the 1/4 position? Would there ever be a need to do this?
    One other quick question has to do with bonding the detent brackets. I got the quick build kit so the detent brackets are stainless. Should I use micro balloons in the hysol since the console is aluminum?
    So far the build has gone pretty well. This is my first build, and probably will be my only. My pace seems pretty slow but I’m trying to anticipate two or three steps forward and not make any costly mistakes.

As always I appreciate the everyone’s input.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

For flying with much slower airplanes I added a 1/4 notch. It lowers the
    nose and makes me feel more comfortable, For all other flying in the 7ss
    speedster normally 1/2 flaps for takeoff and landing.

Phil
    Phil Laker

Oh by the way, that was in my old Vixen with aluminum detents. in my
    new 7SS speedster, stainless detent, only factory notch. My friends 80hp
    model 3 has been replaced with a 7. :0

Phil
    Phil Laker

I don't know how many are doing it, but I certainly would recommend adding a notch between 1/2 and full flaps. If you trained with Stick&Rudder this 3/4 flap will feel like their full flap (same with al SLSA's). It will give you a nearly full flap setting that is fully trimmable. I don't see what is not good about it; if you don't like it, don't use it. It is certainly WAY easier to do before you permanently install the flap detent bracket.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

It sounds like the factory full flap detent is somewhat less than the kit detent. As I flew with S&R, I might just add that extra 3/4 position if that’s the case Jim. Thanks for the advice.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I cut a 1/4 flap position notch into the stainless brackets on my 7SS flap mechanism. Took a while. Great for flying with slower aircraft like Cubs, Rans, Zeniths, 172’s ect.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    I cut a 1/4 flap position notch into the stainless brackets on my 7SS flap mechanism. Took a while. Great for flying with slower aircraft like Cubs, Rans, Zeniths, 172’s ect.
    Slower aircraft like 172's
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Slower aircraft like 172's ]
    Yep. The 145 hp versions anyway.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I went ahead and put a 3/4 flap notch in today and clecoed the detent bracket in place. Think I’ll go ahead and put in a 1/4 notch also. Part of my future “mission” is going to be slow level flying so a 1/4 position might just be the ticket.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog