Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

Default Re: Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

bush fly,
    I carefully calculated the necessary material by laying it all out on graph paper. One thing that made it doable with less yardage was that Oratex was able to provide the material in a width of 76.5", so I can get the wing panels & then the tail feathers (except the vertical fin) out of the remaining strip in that area. Everything else comes out of the remaining length. The SS tail surfaces are larger than, for instance, on a IV. So I ordered 25m (82') of this extra wide batch. It leaves me enough extra for perhaps a tail surface screwup, & plenty for doilies, etc. Not a lot of margin for error. I'm going to take my time... definitely won't be a 4 day job for me. Asking how much it cost is like asking a guy how much he makes. I'm embarrassed to say, especially since I've got all this nice PolyFiber material & tape from the kit (I did sell the polybrush & glue). What's your name anyway? You look like my cousin from Wisconsin.
    Last edited by jrevens; 05-21-2014 at 07:57 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

cap01,
    I made a digital iron, but gave it to a friend. So I bought a Toko T14 that I found on the internet for a good price because I didn't want to go through the hassle of building another one at this stage.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Cool Re: Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I talked on the phone with a fella' named Roger Peterson in Sweeney, Texas who's covered several Super Cubs with Oratex. He loves it...
    OH OH! Someone must have really screwed up! Apparently the judges at Oshkosh didn't get the memo saying "Paint can cover a "multitude of sins", & if you're looking for an Oshkosh award-winning look, you probably want to paint." The very first aircraft to attend Oshkosh (2012,) covered with Oratex UL 600, won the Ultralight Reserve Grand Champion award.
    No paint was required. The fabric is great, and I would absolutely use it again. Let me know if you have any questions. John
    Additional info here - http://cluttonfred.info/post/2820954...s#.U30RyeNOWbE Interview video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw-WRTf9LqY

I know that plane very well from Airventure '12.

The covering was definitely a factor in why it got the Lindy. Innovation in products and usage is something closely looked at. It looked very nice.

If I wasn't already committed to poly fiber on my project, I might give it a look...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

for the last project I got the toko t8 . I figured for 60 dollars I'd try it out . the thing worked fantastic , wish I would have popped for the t14
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Hi John,

I remember your plane at OSH. It was beautiful! I tried to locate & check out every Oratex covered ship that I could at Oshkosh the last couple of years. I certainly didn't mean to lump every user of a certain product in one basket. You're absolutely right - I misspoke about an "Oshkosh award winning look" and I do apologize! I was actually paraphrasing an opinion that was expressed to me by a major kit-built manufacturer. I have seen some terrible looking Oratex jobs, as well as Ceconite or PolyFiber ones, & frankly paint CAN help to hide a lot from the casual observer. But there is no reason that an aircraft covered with Oratex can't potentially be an award winner anyplace. I like what I see with it, I like it's properties & strength, and that is why I decided to make the substantial financial investment to cover my project with it, when I already had most everything to do a PolyFiber job. I hope I can do half as good as you did!

Quote Originally Posted by jsteere View Post
    OH OH! Someone must have really screwed up! Apparently the judges at Oshkosh didn't get the memo saying "Paint can cover a "multitude of sins", & if you're looking for an Oshkosh award-winning look, you probably want to paint." The very first aircraft to attend Oshkosh (2012,) covered with Oratex UL 600, won the Ultralight Reserve Grand Champion award.
    No paint was required. The fabric is great, and I would absolutely use it again. Let me know if you have any questions. John
    Additional info here - http://cluttonfred.info/post/2820954...s#.U30RyeNOWbE Interview video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw-WRTf9LqY
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John it's Bushfly or Ed Hensel in WI. I will be covering my SS in two months. I considered Oratex but it is hard to justify dropping over $6,000 when I can use Stewart System and fabric that came with the kit for far less.

Hey Ed,

Thanks! Man, you look like my cousin.

I understand completely. There was a lot of soul-searching before I dove in.

Good luck with your covering!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by bushfly View Post
    John it's Bushfly or Ed Hensel in WI...
    Is that the going rate for a kitfox sized plane?

By the time you figure all the finish tapes, glue, etc.... yep.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime