Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used alternative methods to rib lacing?

Default Re: Has anyone used alternative methods to rib lacing?

Just do it! There was a image posted on this forum some number of years ago of a KF flying without rib stitching. Most of the fabric on the top of the wings had ballooned since the image was taken from a chase plane. We took the class at Oshkosh, but the DVD video is better. After the 1st rib, stitching become very routine. Just be sure to have plenty of band aids for your fingers (you'll understand when you pull the twine tight). My wife did >1/2 of the stitches on both wings. Nothing to be afraid of, but buy the video.

BobRS
    KF SS7, Rotax 914 and Flying
    Albuquerque, NM

Have any of you ever stitched a previously painted wing? I imagine it would be pretty difficult to see the needle.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Quote Originally Posted by jonstark View Post
    Have any of you ever stitched a previously painted wing? I imagine it would be pretty difficult to see the needle.

Jon
    Since you really need to cover the stitches with finishing tape, I'd think you would want to remove paint prior to stitching.

Regardless, It's not really easy to see the needle even without paint. If you pre-punch the holes, you'd be fine until you ran into internal structure. It won't hurt much to have a few "oops" holes. They aren't large, and you'll be covering them with finishing tapes anyway.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I have never laced a standard fabric, but lacing the Oratex was never a problem for me. I had premade all holes and then it was just a matter of feeling for where the needle point was relative to the desired hole. But be sure to use non-waxed lacing.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

speaking of wax, I know of nobody who sells unwaxed flat string. I used the round string sold to me with the Oratex. I have and do encourage others to strip the wax from the flat thread and use that. I believe John and I know Carl has done this. It is just my opinion but I believe the look is better if you use flat string. It will also makes applying the reinforcing tapes easier. The unwaxed round string is taller which makes the tapes want to bunch up on the edges. It works out in the end but it takes additional effort that you may appreciate not experiencing by using that effort in stripping wax from flat thread.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by tracstarr View Post
    So my manual states rib lacing is optional - but has anyone actually taken that option? Has anyone used alternate methods of securing the fabric to ribs? Just curious.
    I used rivets to secure the fabric. Worked good. Looks good. If I remember correctly I used tape under the rivets and over them when done.

Yes, I used flat, waxed rib stitching cord with the Oratex. Measured off a length, scraped a thumbnail along the cord followed by pulling through a rag wetted with alcohol. This was just to remove some of the excess wax. After stitching, there were a couple of flakes of wax on a few of the knots but they were clean for the most part. Only took a couple of minutes to wiped everything with alcohol. Brushed glue along the reinforcing tapes and made sure the lacing got wet. The finishing tape stuck without problem and there are nice sharp creases along the laces so adhesion is good.

I agree, this is a very satisfying step of the covering process.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Same approach and results as Carl.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I got a reply from oratex. They suggest that if your manual says stitch then stitch - for obvious liability reasons IMO. But, I was also told that gluing to the ribs should be more than adequate as well.

If your ribs are stamped construction and do not have a turned down edge, you need to produce chaffe strips from your Oratex material and glue them to the ribs. Do not use any other store bought chafe strip material as it will not work with Oratex. Remember to glue the final Oratex covering to the Oratex chafe strips.

If Oratex says follow the kit manufacturer's manual, and the manual tells you to rib stitch, and the Oratex STC does not allow you to skip stitches, and you don't know of 100 planes flying around with 20 year old Oratex glue as the only thing keeping the fabric from separating from the upper camber, I'd do the rib stitching. You're looking at a 4-5 hour job, easily completed over a weekend with breaks to work on other things. There may be some places in the build to save some effort, but IMO, this isn't one of them.
    Last edited by aviator79; 10-19-2018 at 07:26 AM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS