Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: STi STOL vs SS7

Default Re: STi STOL vs SS7

Very cool. Im up in Sandy, not far from Mapleton. Perhaps we could meet up sometime? I would love to see one in person and get a better feel for them.

Ya, 5 months is nuts. Wish I had the time and money of some of these guys. Well I have the time being single, but money, that one is harder lol. I have a plan to pursue this if it all works out, in about a year, I hope. One of my biggest challenges is finding a place to build.

Anytime your welcome to come out. I think because #plametrentpalmer there is over a year wait. Put in a deposit and get a kit coming.

Very cool, thank you. I will PM you my cell.

A year wait! wow. I wonder what Trent's kickback for all the business is lol.

A Trailer ride for his plane after an engine failure left him stranded in the middle of nowhere. "kickback"
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Not to mention STi wings n gear, new interior and a sweet deal on a new engine!
    Hey its all in what you negotiate! Trent undoubtably has given Kitfox a lot of recognition 👍
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Looks like Trent is going with the 915 for his new power plant. I wonder how much of that speed he will get back with the spare horses.

Probably not much. Losing that much speed on the top end is not going to be overcome with power. Climb performance is what the 915 brings to the table for the STI.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

I have a friend who cruised in his Rans S6 at 100mph. He then added draggy bush gear with shocks and 29's He also upgraded to and Edge Performance Rotax making 160hp. He now cruises at 115mph+
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Yeah with a turbo you will get a lot of speed back by just going higher and getting a higher TAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    I have a friend who cruised in his Rans S6 at 100mph...

I'm getting a pretty good handle on my 7SS cruise speed now during my Phase 1 test period. I've got a 912 ULS, 22" tundra tires (no wheel pants of course), and no special fairings other than the lift struts. I've tried to do some accurate speed tests lately - no wind, but still making runs in all directions. At 6500' MSL (approx. 1000' AGL) I'm averaging 121 MPH TAS at 5400 RPM. Would that be considered a reasonable cruise RPM? The airplane seems to really jump off the ground also - no real numbers yet. This is just me and pretty much full fuel, but it seems very similar to Stick & Rudder's 914 powered bird with Paul & I in it (at a lower altitude). I'm pretty pleased with that.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime