Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Engine noise in Bose 35II with NFlightMic

Default Engine noise in Bose 35II with NFlightMic

I have a Kitfox IV Classic project that I’m finishing and I have noise in the headsets when I call out. Engine is a Rotax 582 gray head, comm is a VAL com 760 tsp, intercom is a PS engineering PM1000. The comm and the intercom were part of the box of parts that came with the plane and are not new. I purchased a pair of Bose 35 II headsets and a pair of NFlightMics on a recommendation from a friend. When the engine isn’t running, the headsets with the mics work great. With the engine running I have a large amount of noise when calling out. Any suggestions on cutting out the engine noise when transmitting?
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

Default Re: Engine noise in Bose 35II with NFlightMic

Mike,

Not saying that every case may be the same; however, I'll share my experience.

I originally had some older headsets I used in rental planes. Had a similar effect with background noise on transmission in the kitfox as you describe - judging by the crabbing of other pilots and ATC it was clear the noise came through on transmission also. Tried every adjustment on the radio that was available with no success.

Borrowed a friend's Peltor headset (a really good head set that is no longer made - if you run across one - don't be fooled by the "sport" versions 3M made under the Peltor brand after they bought Peltor and did aviation headsets for a really short period of of time; the 3M ones were plain crap). With the original Peltor with the higher grade microphone, there was no background noise on transmission. Eventually bought a pair of david clark headsets which have a similar high quality microphone. The DCs came with instructions for adjusting the mic gain on the radio and the sidetone to best match the headsets. Everything has been great since then.

Personally I consider anything involving radios to be a form of voodoo; however, what this experience led me to believe is that a high quality microphone is essential to eliminating background noise; and, there is a sweet spot on adjusting the mic gain on the radio.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN