Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912 carb drip tray

Default 912 carb drip tray

If anyone is looking for carb drip trays for your 912,Van's Aircraft sells a real nice drip tray for $13.50 ea.Van's part #VA-205.Rotax sells their drip tray for $104 ea..If you do not have drip trays you should consider installing these to prevent possible dripping fuel onto your HOT rear exhaust pipes.FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: 912 carb drip tray

Guess I am too slow... I am installing my 912, and so I thought I'd order them now... but they do NOT show up on Van's price list, nor in a search... darn! Oh well... any other sources like this one? Thanks!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

I have a new set from vans that I don't need. Give me a call or email.

Bill,
    I will call you tomorrow!

Cheers!
    Grover
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Sorry if this is not applicable as I have not seen the Vans trays, but I had trays on my first IV that made carb maintenance almost impossible. They were mounted under the sockets so removing them for maintenance was not practical. This time I did something different. A picture is in my IV-1200 album. Out of town or would give a link to the photo.

Edited by DesertFox4-
    Lowell- I added a photo of your drip tray.
    Hope it's the one you mentioned.
    Lowell's drip trays Rotax 912ul.jpg user618_pic3524_1348506826.jpg
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I find my muffler does a fine job of catching drips. ;-)
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

G`morning guys
    I have routed the "overflow tubes" into the K&N filters for the 3 years. Seems to work fine and does prevent fuel spilling.
    I also made up "heat deflectors" that simply snap tie beneath the carbs. This seems to keep the carb bowls cooler after shut down on hot days. (first pic in my album under brush brackets)
    The shields are made up from race car starter protector kits.
    This system may not look very professional but is very easy to remove for maintenance.
    Cheers
    Don

This discussion is interesting to me. I know that many guys do route the tubes into the air filters. I think that Rotax says that the tubes must be continually sloping downhill, & that can be accomplished with the air filter set-up. I do wonder if the tubes had to do their job, and an air filter became soaked with fuel, if that could be a potential hazard. Do Rotax engines have any propensity to backfire?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Highwing, those cups look a lot like the spit cups in my dentist's office.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo......but, our kitfox is set up with the Rotax airbox which incorporates shallow trays under the carbs......these are different than the ones Highwing mentioned which are bolted through the sockets. The ones on the airbox are in the way for taking off the float bowl also; but, there are two small screws and they aren't much of an issue to remove so the drip pans can be moved out of the way to get at the float bowls The airbox has nipples on the top where the carb vent tubes go; and there is a nipple on each side of the bottom of the airbox for drain tubes which go down below the firewall.....the drip trays with the airbox also have drain nipples so I have a cluster of 4 drain tubes going down the firewall.

The airbox isn't cheap; but, it has all the fittings for all the vents and drains plus the drip tray.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN