Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Discussion

Default Re: Helmet Discussion

Would this be the proper Kitfox helmet?

Sorry... couldn't resist...

There are a myriad of helmets for every singe conceivable situation. I would suggest doing some real research on the subject before buying anything that looks cool. A brief read into bicycle helmets shows that some of the regulators have issues with the latest tech helmets as not being as safe as claimed. It's made me re-evaluate my future helmet purchase.
    John Smutny
    LSRM (S36)

At the end of the day, Im with John. If you really want skull protection you really need to get one designed for the environment. I spent dearly for my motorcycle helmet and even then they want me to discard it after 5yrs use irregardless of damage.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Ski helmets, and Bicycle helmets are not the same thing. I wear a ski
    helmet winter bicycling because I like to keep my head from freezing off.

These Ski helmets are well made, and that's nonsense to discount them
    like that. They may not be "perfect" but they are very good quality helmets.
    It also so happens, that they are easily adaptable to airplane use. They
    are absolutely as good as any of the helmets sold for ultralight fliers, so
    I don't see any issue with using one.

You're going to gain protection wearing one, and if you're in a crash so bad
    that the helmet fails ... Well likely it doesn't really matter what helmet you
    have on.

Jeff

First rule is don’t crash. Second rule is where a helmet, any helmet. Third rule is wear a good helmet.

If you follow the history trail of “aviation” helmets, their lineage, and the technology they were used to be developed I think you would find modern high end ski helmets most likely exceed them in every way.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

This is an interesting clip from a video by Becki and Chris who fly a Robinson. https://youtu.be/O7-H0pRkaFM?t=133

While you don't have the rotors in an airplane, I think he makes a good point that head injury in a crash could come from another source (tree).

I think there are two goals of any helmet. 1) protect your head/face from external impact. 2) cushion your head so that your brain doesn't slam into the inside of your skull (concussion). While a bike helmet might not help with #1 too much, it is designed to help with #2.

I guess this is part of risk assessment and the real question is how much does it impede the pilots ability to fly. For example, if the bulky helmet makes it harder to look around as much (in a limited size cabin), or you have limited peripheral vision, I could see an argument against it. Hard to know without trying, and hard to try without spending the $$$.

Interesting discussion. I know a guy who used to work for the government, shooting coyotes from a Cub. When he built his RV4 he continued to wear a helmet while flying it. I don’t think his wife had a helmet when she flew with him (could be wrong). I also think that he gradually gave up using a helmet in his homebuilts, but I might be wrong about that too... haven’t seen him for a long time. Anyway, this seems to be developing into quite a popular notion. We all know that flying involves more risk than many things we do in life, and many might say “why not wear a helmet?”. There are multiple ways to reduce the risks of flying, but I’m not sure I would personally want to wear a helmet... they are just too hot, restrictive and basically uncomfortable to me. We live in such a risk-adverse society anymore that I believe we’ve taken the fun out of living in many ways. Not saying it’s not a way to reduce certain risk... it is. But I think about all my years growing up, riding bikes, flying airplanes, driving cars and motorcycles, etc., etc. without helmets, or even seat belts. Now, I can see a day sometime in the future when “Big Brother” mandates helmet use in private aircraft. Large soda drinks may even be banned! Reminds me of the popular chant among some nowdays - “Even if it saves only one life, it’s worth it.” No, sometimes, for some people, it’s not. I’m sure there will be a lot of disagreement with this. To each his own.
    Last edited by jrevens; 11-15-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Well put John!
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Amen John couldn't agree more-to me , the best way by far to eliminate much of the risk in flying is pilot proficiency and currency. Instead of just boring holes in the sky, challenge yourself on every flight and know what your airplane can do. As an example I know that in my plane I can do the dreaded 180 degree turn back to my departing runway if my engine fails from 400' agl because it is a maneuver I practice regularly. So before every takeoff , I say to myself if engine quits on this one what is the plan - a big push on the stick and basically straight ahead until I can make that 400'. The 2 seconds you save because you expect it to happen could save your life someday. Bruce N199CL

I am going to start wearing a helmet at work (corporate pilot) and see how my passengers react😬 Interesting article about bike helmets I read awhile ago I will see if I can find it. Basically states wearing a helmet can sometimes lead to more risk taking because “I have a helmet on.”

https://www.cnet.com/news/brain-surg...cycle-helmets/

Totally agree John.

Rick