Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Model IV smooth cowl

Default Re: Model IV smooth cowl

I will speculate.

With the smooth cowl, the oil tank moves on the side, the intakes and carbs are back to their original inboard position. The moving of the oil tank requires a different mount.

Not sure but seems reasonable.

Ralph

My buddy has a smooth IV his oil tank is in the centre and low recessed intonthe firewall
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

My model 4 did have the shorter oil tank and yes it was recessed into the center
    and high up on the firewall. The intake manifolds had to be reversed from side to side due to location of the engine mount arms. There was no room under that cowling for the oil tank to be mounted on either side like the newer models do. That would have been nice as oil changes would be much much easier. Also there really was no room for mounting a radiator inside that cowl. Mine had to go underneath the fuselage. Forward visibility during flight was better than the bump cowl as the smooth cowl tapered down from the windshield to the spinner and also from the doors forward towards the spinner. My model 4 was always a tri- gear before I sold it to Scott. I would like to fly it as he has it set up now and see how it feels compared to the tri- gear.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    I will speculate.

With the smooth cowl, the oil tank moves on the side, the intakes and carbs are back to their original inboard position. The moving of the oil tank requires a different mount.

Not sure but seems reasonable.

Ralph

On the later model 5 through the current plane, this is true.

The smooth cowl 4 and early 5, the tank is behind the engine.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

The model 5 Outback, smooth cowl, with the 912 dynafocal egine mount, the oil tank is slightly left of middle and at rear of the engine.

I believe the model 6 is the same.

I think somewhere in the 7 series and newer, the fixed boot cowl and the Rotax 912 engine ring mount came to be used, which got the carb manifolds back to stock orientation, put the oil tank on the side, coolant and oil radiator together slung underneath, plus gave a little more room to work on things, I think it moved the prop flange around 4" out from the firewall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kmach; 10-30-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post
    I think somewhere in the 7 series and newer, the fixed boot cowl and the Rotax 912 engine ring mount came to be used, which got the carb manifolds back to stock orientation, put the oil tank on the side, coolant and oil radiator together slung underneath, plus gave a little more room to work on things, I think it moved the prop flange around 4" out from the firewall.
    I agree with this assessment. On my new Model IV, I made my own engine mount moving the engine forward about 2.5" I was then able to put the oil tank on the passenger side low. A side note: Moving the engine forward was intended to return the baggage capacity to the 40 lbs. in the IV specs as I had a lot of fairings to close gap seals in both elevator and rudder. That far back, a couple of Oz. equals close to a couple of lbs. up front.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I appreciate all your responses.
    I have been flying round cowl Kitfoxs for 23 years so visibility is not the issue as much as I like the smooth cowl look.
    Improved visibility would be a bonus.
    What I have learned from you guys is that the cowl alone will not improve visibility, the panel and glare shield need to be lowered also.
    Hopefully I will run into Scott Palmers Kitfox to get a visual on what the recessed oil tank into the fire wall looks like and lowered panel and glare shield.
    Does Desert Fox have any photos?
    My current oil tank is centered high on the firewall behind the engine.
    Apparently the required motor mount change required recessing the tank into the firewall.
    I do not want a longer motor mount as Highwing did for CG reasons.
    The big question, is the cost and effort worth the make over?

Herman, I may have some original build photos from 2002 however I am away from home for a couple weeks.
    I like to be look of both cowls so it would not be worth all the effort in my humble opinion. You would likely have to trim your firewall and there may be a real possibility that you would need a brand new one to cut it to the new shape of the smooth cowling’s unique contours. My model 4 has a one piece firewall. It was also extra long underneath the fuselage for more fire protection and a little more puncture resistance if you had set down in trees or rocks etc.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I'm in the middle of converting a IV round cowl over to a smooth cowl and just to add what I am discovering. The engine mounts look identical except for the oil tank mounting brackets that are separate on my new smooth cowl engine mount (black) and are welded on the round cowl engine mount (red). I also purchased the upper firewall and a new windshield since it was already cut out for the round cowling.

Shawn
    Building IV Classic

Really not trying to be annoying , but yup... Looks the same and easily adaptable as I suspected. I'm sure there are other differences within the rest of the conversion, but that looks totally adaptable.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 11-12-2018 at 04:10 PM.