Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Mcfarlane throttle

Default Re: Mcfarlane throttle

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Can you expand on the Vans torsion spring?

I think it's a spring that circles around the end of the throttle shaft and "winds up" when the throttle is retarded.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I think it's a spring that circles around the end of the throttle shaft and "winds up" when the throttle is retarded.

Does anyone have a source or web-link for these?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I ran out to the airport to get some pictures of my throttle system and what did I find? NO AIRPLANE! Dang.

So I dug up some pictures from the build. It's a short rigid cable vernier push/pull throttle cable going through the firewall to a bellcrank that goes from the cable to the carbs on both sides. The bellcrank supports come off the cylinder head water exit on each side. Each end of the bellcrank is supported by a small sealed bearing. The connections from bellcrank to carb are a combination of threaded female rod and two rod ends. That's so I can adjust each strut's length. The idea was that once sync'd, nothing would move and the carbs would remain sync's forever. (Theoretically, of course.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

Details of the torsional spring install on the carburetor can be seen in Vans service bulletin 18-03-06.

Here's a link to the Vans SB. Link

Now for the $68 question, will VANs sell these springs to the general public or do you need an RV-12 serial number to get them?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Kitfox has a lighter spring. I put them on a couple days ago and it is MUCH better. Still have to crank a little friction on the throttle but 1,000,000 times better.

I’ll try this setup for a bit before deciding on the McFarlane throttle or just removing the springs altogether.

I'm pretty sure Van's will sell to a non-RV builder. Since they are here near me, I have bought quite a bit of stuff from them during my build.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

My McFarlane throttle came with a set of lighter springs. Does the Vans Service Bulletin imply an issue with the McFarlane supplied springs?
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I have been using the McFarlane vernier throttle for 300 + hrs, with the McFarlane supplied lighter springs.

In 2015 when first installed with a new engine install, at the 25 hour engine inspection, I found a broken spring, McFarlane sent me a new set. They have been working since.

My throttle works great, smooth push , pull. l set the friction just so the vernier feature starts to work , never had creap of rpm at idle or on approach with it.

Back in 2015 when I talked with McFarlane , it was mentioned vibration as a big spring breaker, and I was asked if I had an RV12, we discussed the RV12 , seems they had quite a few of their carb springs break. They also said nicking the spring with pliers on install or such was a common reason for the spring to fail.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW