Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Safety trim wiring in parallel

Default Re: Safety trim wiring in parallel

Hold on - check with TCW 1st - sounds like the HD may stand for heavy duty which would be for a much more robust servo.

I'd ask if you can pin per the current diagram or "un-pin" the duplicates from your current harness. Assuming you have a servo of less than 5 amps draw (most are less than 1 amp for this application).

Greg

According to this thread Eddie talked to John M and John said it was 7A.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...rim+motor+draw

So what’s the best way to wire the two parallel to the trim motor? Shorten up the 22awg wires coming off the motor as short as possible?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I don't think that is correct. 7 amps at 12 volts would require a much larger wire size than 22 ga. for any distance. Maybe .7 amps? What is the brand and model # of the servo?

Greg

Not sure what the AWG is on mine but its bigger than 22. More like 18 or 16.
    Eddie

I went into the garage and put a micrometer on the bare wire. Looks like .0415”. So I guess that would be 18AWG. My mistake. The wire seems smaller but I guess that’s due to a thinner casing
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thats part of why I'm confused. The kitfox diagram shows a 7.5 amp fuse - so a 7 amp draw would then make sense for a load. I know they use a more powerful motor for the tail trim than the Ray Allens. That would equal about a 1/10th HP at 12 v. Which would require a much larger wire for any significant length. So why would they put a 22 ga lead on it, which would then be the weak point when it's got to be wired 10 feet or even more that would dictate 14 ga. or maybe even 12 ga.

So Josh's question of why a 22 ga lead is valid and makes no sense to me either unless the amp draw is actually much less than the 7 amp answer given so far.

Greg

edit - forgot to add: And if the amp draw is less, I certainly wouldn't want to be protecting the circuit with a 7.5 amp fuse or breaker - it will never protect anything - especially a 22 ga wire sizzling! Further - if it really is a 7 amp draw - would you want to take a chance on a 22 ga lead sizzling?

Somethings not right here, still

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    Thats part of why I'm confused. The kitfox diagram shows a 7.5 amp fuse - so a 7 amp draw would then make sense for a load. I know they use a more powerful motor for the tail trim than the Ray Allens. That would equal about a 1/10th HP at 12 v. Which would require a much larger wire for any significant length. So why would they put a 22 ga lead on it, which would then be the weak point when it's got to be wired 10 feet or even more that would dictate 14 ga. or maybe even 12 ga.

So Josh's question of why a 22 ga lead is valid and makes no sense to me either unless the amp draw is actually much less than the 7 amp answer given so far.

Greg
    Hey Greg see my post above. I physically measured the wire and it is in fact 18amp. The casing on it is very thing and made me thing it was smaller. Sorry for all the confusion and thanks for all the help even though I was giving bad info!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

My edit crossed your post

Still would be concerned. 18 ga is good for 5.37 feet. (2) 20 ga = 17 ga which is better than 18 ga but still only good for 7 feet or so. So if using 2 wires for say 10 feet that calculates to (1) 14 ga which in 2 wires = 17 ga each, which of course they don't make, so you would then go to (2) 16 ga which is effectively 13 ga and then good for up to 17.5 feet! Make sense?

(all calculated at 12v with 2% drop)

So in my mind, the wiring is fine from the controller to the servo if located within 5 feet or so of each other, but the power wiring from the controller to the fuse and the source may not be if also 20 ga.

How far is it from the controller to the buss? If more than 7 feet, may want to think about larger than (2) 20 ga wires. FWIW

Greg

I mounted the controller in the centre console so from the controller to the trim motor is probably about 10’. And about 5’ from the controller to the buss.

Maybe I will email kitfox and get the straight scoop on the trim motor. It’s installed and I can seem to get a make or model off of it.
    Last edited by Esser; 12-07-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Sounds like a plan. Looks like your wiring to the buss may be okay but to the motor might be iffy. I always use 2% drop but if calculating for say a 5% drop it would calculate okay with (2) 20 ga (then up to 17.3 feet). May not make a hill of beans difference but worth checking out!

Greg