Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Esser's Build

Default Re: Esser's Build

Thanks everyone, Love to see the support. I think it will be a blast. Not that it wouldn't have before.

Ross, I'm not sure about the remote sender AHARS. I will keep you posted though when I find out more.

Kevin, PM sent.

Quick question for everyone. Do I need a full firewall forward kit if I have all the components already? Or can I just buy a motor mount and a cowl?

I don't think you will need to buy the whole firewall forward kit because you will have a lot of the needed parts already.

The engine mount and cowling will be major components needed.

I can't see it in the picture of your engine but you will need the ring mount for the engine as that is what attaches to the engine mount off the fire wall.

If your engine has the ring mount and exhaust and muffler then you will have be headed in the right direction.

Your oil cooler will have to be checked for fit on the Kitfox and of course you will need the mounting brackets for the oil cooler.

The prop will need a hub extension if that didn't come on the Airmaster install for a Pelican.

Good luck with the install and you will most certainly have a great performing plane with that engine and prop combo.

Thanks John,

I was thinking along the same lines. It will be interesting to see how much we can use. I will call Debra Monday and see how much just the cowl and mount are for now.

Thanks Josh! Looking forward to building with you!

Hi to everyone on the thread - I've enjoyed reading all the good info, encouragement, and joking. Looking forward to joining in!

Daniel - Edmonton AB

First work in a while.

Just getting my feet wet on the superfil fairing of the horz stab and elevator.
    I ran out on the Rudder so I will wait for this to cure, sand it, and see if it needs more anywhere before I finish up the rudder.

Biggest tip I received for using this stuff is wet your finger with alcohol to smooth it out without it pulling up as it is pretty tacky right off the get go.

Ran out!

Great to see you back into it Josh. Yes, that stuff is pretty good to work with and you can get a really good finish for the fabric. Sounds like a waste of good alcohol though!

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Great to see you back into it Josh. Yes, that stuff is pretty good to work with and you can get a really good finish for the fabric. Sounds like a waste of good alcohol though!

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ
    I think he meant rubbing alcohol, not a good scotch. I would recommend drink the Scotch, rubb the alcohol.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

...but only when it is dull. Never drink the scotch-brite. You'll wish it was rubbing alcohol.

Good tip, Josh! I hadn't heard that one before. I know that on PRC or Proseal, you can use a mix of dish soap and water - makes the most beautifully smooth and artistic bead you've ever seen! I wonder if it would work with superfil?

Anyways - thanks for the alcohol tip!
    Daniel

Drink the scotch, not the scotch brite, didn't your parents teach you anything. . I've had a head cold, my throat is sore & raspy. I can't imagine drinking scotch brite, it would really be sore.

I would recommend adding micro balloons to the epoxy when your filling the imperfection it will cut the weight dramatically, and it is very easy to shape with the micro balloons in the epoxy. Also wear gloves, I developed a epoxy allergy, and an allergy to latex gloves trying to build a composite aircraft. Absolutely no fun! So much for that project.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 09-15-2014 at 08:37 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hey Paul, you can see the gloves on the ground in the third picture. The superfil already contains fillers. A fully cured gallon of it weighs less than 4 lbs