Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hoenshell's Build

Default Re: Hoenshell's Build

This got me thinking. Back in the day one of the guys we flew with regularly would have his wife sit in the seat and call out when the fuel level was at the top of the vertical tube in the sight gauge. I always found this interesting as on my first Model IV, I fueled each tank a gallon at a time to get an accurate mark on gauge. What I found is that at the top of the vertical tube just as the fuel began filling the horizontal part there was 9 gallons in the tank. I suppose tom never flew with more than 9 gallons in each tank. I did the proportional fill both tail in three point and fuselage level as in flight. With a 90 degree barb, I suspect you will be covering more of the vertical tube - top and bottom for probably a visual indication only between about 4 and 8 gallons.

Regarding the three point and flight attitude readings. In the middle the readings were really close, but low fuel and high fuel indications were a gallon or two different. Can't remember high or low, but a gallon or two different.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Well, here is what I come up with so far. I've seen some Cubs that are setup like this and thought you might be able to see the fuel level a little easier with the lines extending out into the cockpit a little. I would image that any markings on the white plexiglass will not show through the fuel line being so far away.
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

Hi Shawn.
    Assuming that your post was made to draw comment?
    " I would imagine that any markings on the white plexiglass will not show through the fuel line being so far away."
    Leads me to wonder why 1/2" closer to your eyes is better than being able to have the markings magnified by the fuel when the tube is 1/2" closer to the placard. Might work pretty nicely if you were to put markings directly onto the tubes. Silicone tape that's cut into thin lines may wrap around your tubes and act as fuel level marks. Or colored sharpies.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Given the location of the fuel lines and obstruction 1/2" might make a difference, but I get your point. Regardless, I think I'm going to change my mind and make it where the tubes are flat against the white background and ultimately the fuel markings. Something like this.
    Last edited by Hoenshell; 08-17-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

Also consider parallax. If the fuel hose is far from the markings, then where the fuel is relative to the markings will depend on the angle at which you're looking at it. It will be different from the right seat, or if you change seat cushions, etc.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I was thinking about this. Could you put a concentric reducer coming out of the so the hose is larger and then put some fuel proof ball in the hose so you can see where the ball is in the tube? Since the ball is larger tubing than the tanks fittings, it wont be able to get into the tank and block something important. It would just be stuck between the reducers
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Im not so sure. My tubes are held onto the fittings with a clamp. This Pic shows nothing to secure the tube except the ridges of the barb. Totally possible it won't leak I suppose, but then why does Kitfox provide clamps?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I ordered and received an aluminum header tank to replace the plastic one that came with my Kitfox and the quick drain doesn't line up with the opening the previous builder constructed. I can move the header tank towards the pilot side; but not sure if this would create any problems? I would either need to move the tabs on the tank or devise another method. Can I move my quick drain access in the fabric? What would you recommend?

Shawn
    Building IV Classic

Can you put two 45’ elbows to line it up or will that make it too low?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

He will need to get a straight shot from underneath to drain the sump. I would just fashion up a means to slide the tank inboard an inch.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X