Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ELT Recommendations

Default Re: ELT Recommendations

This was a great podcast on ELT testing and operation from a representative from SARSAT and The Finer Points podcast.

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/tf...a?dest-id=2348
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

There is an AD out on the Ameri-King ELT's model AK-450-( ) and AK-451-( ),
    2017-16-01 Ameri-King Corporation, effective October 24, 2017. You can download the AD from the web. Quite extensive but since you have to inspect the ELT every year, the compliance is not that hard to do.

Dick B

Quote Originally Posted by Dick B in KY View Post
    There is an AD out on the Ameri-King ELT's model AK-450-( ) and AK-451-( ),
    2017-16-01 Ameri-King Corporation, effective October 24, 2017. You can download the AD from the web. Quite extensive but since you have to inspect the ELT every year, the compliance is not that hard to do.

Dick B
    Where we run in to trouble is the batteries. When they reach the end of their useful life, a TSO replacement is not available as Ameri-King would have to do the TSO and the FAA yanked their TSO capability. So in my case with dead batteries there is really not a legal replacement turning the AK ELT in to a desk ornament.

My plan was to buy some batteries to get it out of the shop and then immediately work on installing the ACK. I would rather have the shop do it, but they are wrapped around the higher testing concept and won’t touch it. I am hoping with some local help I can pull off the install.

And, for what it is worth, the Ameri-King encoders are a POS also. When I built the plane, they were cheap and I guess they knew what their stuff was worth.

IMHO - if an Ameri-King product becomes unservicable - compost it and replace it with something that works.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Painful, but that is exactly the plan.