Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Stewart Painting Systems

Default Stewart Painting Systems

Quote Originally Posted by colospace View Post
    The other thing that concerns me is all the MEK solvent given that I expect to be working in my garage and must avoid fumigating my house with that stuff.
    Check out Stewart Systems. It's a non toxic covering system that uses no harsh solvents. All waterbourne coverings and paints.

http://www.stewartsystems.aero/
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Andy,
    There was some discussion of Stewart Systems at the SportAir Fabric Covering workshop I attended recently. I had come away with the perception that Stewart Systems was only for the paint portion, but not the actual installation of the fabric. I see that I was wrong on that. I know that at least one other workshop attendee was planning to use Stewart Systems. What has been the experience of folks on this forum?
    - Gary

Default Re: Stewart Systems

So I imagine there are not many here that have used the system. It's not as mainstream as polyfiber as of yet.

I used it back when it was AFS (Aircraft Finishing Systems) which became Stewart Systems (Same stuff). This was back in 1998.

It is an entire system of non toxic covering materials & paint system. You start in a very similar way to poly fiber, with a glue product that you attach the fabric with, then brush out the fabric once you have tightened it. It really is very easy to use. There is nothing very different from polyfiber during the basic fabric stages. You can use your same fabric that comes with the kit.

The difference in technique comes later when doing the painting. It's a 2 part polyurathane type coating and due to the fact that it's waterbourne you need to spray it a bit different than polytone etc. The Stewarts have all the instruction videos and info you need to get up and going with their products.

I covered a MiniMax 1100R back in 1998 and in 2000 won Grand Champion ultralight at the Arlington Airshow. The finish is very glossy (like Aerothane) and has held up well. The plane still looks great with no paint problems over the years.

If you want to see lots of pictures of the covering etc, go to http://www.karmy.com/minimax/pictures.htm
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Tell us about your experience / exposure to this painting system.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Default Re: Stewart Painting Systems

Hello, Im building a Super Skyraider right now and using Stewart Systems products.I have only used Poly Fiber a little bit so I dont really have anything to compare to. This is my first airplane build so by no means an expert, but I do have a friend helping me and I would not be afraid to call him an expert.He only uses Stewarts products , he has built many Super Cubs using it and they are beautiful when he is finished with them.The fact that there is no smell makes it worth it.I still cant convince my wife to let me cover my tail feathers in the house.Call Stewarts and get their DVD,s. HP

Default Re: Stewart Painting Systems

I just recently covered and painted my Kitfox IV Speedster using the Stewart System and highly recommend it. It makes the covering process a real pleasure, and no noxious fumes is a real plus.