Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 51 of 119 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread: Where I Fly.

Default Re: Where I Fly.

Absolutely recognized it. The top left corner is the golf course. We have been vacationing at our cottage on Pickerel Lake since I was a kid.

Did you land at Mackinac Island? I have several times. The first time I didn't go there with a plane was on my honeymoon.

Here is a picture of the Mackinac bridge from a slightly different angle. It was a calm day on Lake Huron, we were in my brother's 26' boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Yes, we landed on the Island and stayed at the Chippewa Hotel overnight. Glad we went when we did as they said everything was closing down for the winter just a couple of days after we were there.
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

Several Years ago a flight of 6 formed up at a grass strip on a mega cattle ranch in Northern Nevada. The plan was to stop for fuel at Elko for a flight to the West Desert Fly-in just West of Utah Lake, in the state of Utah. My leg began at my home in Cameron Park continuing over the Sierra Nevada Mountains and over Lake Tahoe. Then continuing over Nevada's state capital, Carson City, then over the legendary silver mining "Ghost Town" Virginia City. Continuing over Western Nevada, we entered Utah and followed I80 over the Great Salt Lake Desert salt flats then to the West Desert Airstrip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZgYw13FXmc
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell,
    Thanks for the vid. I've been to the West Desert Airstrip (U99) and didn't know they had a fly-in. Do you know if they still have it?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve,
    I don't know. I suspect they are, but the latest I could find online was an event Sept 5 2014. I understand that the airport is owned by one of the Rans Distributors. They have a facebook page with some information.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks, Lowell. I found them on Facebook.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Several Years ago a flight of 6 formed up at a grass strip on a mega cattle ranch in Northern Nevada...
    That looked like a great trip Lowell! I love the videos... thanks for posting it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

A couple days ago over the Yakima River between Ellensburg and Yakima. People often wonder how the river cut all those curves and oxbows down through the hills. The river was actually there first. The land was flat so the river meandered all over the place. Then the hills were created by folding.

Reds Fly shop
    2544-Red's Fly Shop-Yakima River Canyon.jpg

I drove this highway from Yakima to Ellensburg every day to commute to College in 1970. before the freeway was built over the top.
    2545-Little Loop Downstream of the Oxbow-Yakima River.jpg

2546-The Big Oxbow In Yakima River Canyon.jpg

An old Airway Beacon site on Umtanunum Ridge half way between yakima and Ellensburg.
    SB1114 DESIGNATION - WENAS AIRWAY BEACON Y 1
    DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1941 (JCS) SB1114'STATION IS A STANDARD RED AND WHITE STRIPED, ROTATING TYPE, AIRWAY SB1114'BEACON WITH A CONTROL AND FUEL HOUSE AT ITS BASE. BEING LOCATED ON SB1114'A PROMINENT HILL, IT MAKES AN EXCELLENT LANDMARK FOR 20 OR 30 MILES SB1114'AWAY. SEE DESCRIPTION OF TRIANGULATION STATION WENAS.
    2542-Old Airway Beacon on Umtanum Ridge.jpg

On Google Earth today
    Last edited by t j; 11-06-2015 at 07:08 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

TJ,
    I've driven that road many, many times in days gone by, but to see it from the air is WAY cool! Thanks for the photos and story.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Tom,

I love that story.......one of the great things about flying is the ability to see things we once saw from the ground, but in a whole new perspective......love the geology comments also. History and geology from the great vantage point of a Kitfox. How great is that!

Did a little digging in my backyard about the airway system you mentioned.....not a lot of the relics remaining but many of those which are can be found are located in isolated areas where people have not taken them down.

The first attached photo is of one of the original "concrete arrows" in the middle of metro land adjacent to St Paul, Mn in the vicinity of one of my customary and usual kitfox fly-out routes. Photo taken from the ground as you can't see that much from the air due to the trees. Second photo is of the design of the sites with the utility shed sitting on the "tail" of the arrow, the beacon tower on the middle pad and the "point" of the arrow in the direction of the next beacon site. Supposedly the sites were 10 miles apart. The "arrows" were not always straight as the sites weren't always in line - so yes, this one is a little crooked. The one by St Paul has had the tail of the arrow cleverly converted to a small basketball court - probably the only reason it is still there.

My understanding is this system, which previously spanned the continent, was originally set up to provide visual navigation points day and night for airmail. The system was not too long after replaced by the "Radio Range" radio nav system as planes began to have electrical systems and recievers. The "Radio Range" which only gave the cardinal directions as navigation lanes, was replaced with the "Omni Range system" a lot of us grew up on - which makes sense now why they called it "omni range".

The arrow near St Paul, is 10 miles from the beacon on top of the cliff (Mounds Park) across from the down town St Paul Aitport (KSTP) which is still in continuous operation today and has been restored and maintained as an artifact of history as well as a useful device to get a visual on St Paul at night. Interesting anecdote - the towers were not originally red and white but black and gold, a standard that was replaced with the familiar red and white aviation markings we have today - The St Paul beacon has been done up in the original black and yellow for historical correctness.

The concret arrow south of st paul in my first photo is the only complete arrow remaining within MN - a couple other sites have fragments but not complete arrows.

GPS - We've cone a long way!...but it is great to remember our roots and know what early aviation pioneers had to deal with.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear
    St Paul, MN
    Attached Images Attached Images