Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing Question

Default Towing Question

I see a lot of people tow their foxes backwards.

What is the reason for this?

Thank you.

Default Re: Towing Question

Fits better on a modified boat trailer. Easier to load/ unload while elevating the tailwheel (reduces stress on the tailwheel). It also prevents wind from blowing in the exposed wing roots possibly loosening fabric.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

You dont see too many but the tow bars originally made for the kitfox aircraft that connects to the tail which is still part of newer kitfox , my 5 has the tow bar/ lower dorsalfin connections built into the airframe, if your not towing too far, its a slick set up
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Any way you can tow down the hiway with the towbar?

the tow bar that I see used, I had asked the gentlemen how far they went with it,..they had said 5 miles one way and top speed was 45 mph on secondary roads,..
    Personally I wouldn't tow it on an interstate with the tow bar set up,..I'd feel allot safer with a parameter frame trailer with plane on it,..

the gentlemen that I had spoke to had a model 3 with stock landing gear,..and the stock kit smooth tires,..
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

As I recall the tow bar was for short distances and low speeds like 30 mph.
    Highway speeds would not be a good idea. Also I'd be careful on any bumpy roads.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

If anyone wants one of those original tow bars, I have one collecting dust in my hangar. Too long and heavy to ship, so you'd need to be close to the Chicago area.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I tow every time I fly. To me it feels like a boat trailer. Only about 1.5 miles to the airstrip, but I have had it up to 50mph on a smooth straight away with no problems what so ever. However, I would NEVER take it beyond a rural road nor beyond that speed as there is a lot of down force exerted on the rear of the fuselage due to the weight and air deflection from the wings. When towing backwards the top of the wings deflect a lot of air.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Geowitz; 01-23-2014 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    As I recall the tow bar was for short distances and low speeds like 30 mph.
    Highway speeds would not be a good idea. Also I'd be careful on any bumpy roads.
    I'm a new Kit Fox owner and have sustained some major damage due to towing and neglecting to secure one wing properly. I will, in the future, and suggest anyone else do the same, provide a redundant way to secure the wings during towing. I haven't worked it out yet, but it will probably be a highly visible lanyard or ratchet strap.

My left wing swung out while towing at about 50 mph and struck a road sign. The wing swung past the fully deployed position, possibly another 45 degrees. The cabin top sustained major damage. I am currently having a new Hat-Rack being built at Kit Fox, which I will replace all the damaged tubing. The left wing sustained major damage, and has been repaired. I am currently applying finishing tapes to the cover.

Hopefully it'll be flying again this spring.

Cheers,
    Last edited by cgruby; 01-23-2014 at 06:14 PM.
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

If plane is pulled forward the tail wants to fly and you risk bending the back. This picture shows damage to a kitfox because of a 800mile tow.
    Attached Images Attached Images