Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ads-b

Default Ads-b

Not even sure I want to install ADS-B but curious about what is a good option. I was going to go through NavWorX as their unit would interface with the Sandia STX-165 transponder I installed. Alas, they went bossoms skyward. Any decent choices in the experimental arena?

Default Re: Ads-b

Jeff, I and a few other guys on the forum went with the Uavionix ECHO ADSB in/out unit. I also bought their SKYFYX ext WAAS GPS to go with the ECHO transceiver. I paid $1350 for both units and the installation which I just finished a few weeks ago was very straightforward . As usual the toughest part was routing the wiring in an already done airplane. I did not want to have to replace my transponder (Microair) and this unit is compatible with many transponders as it "sniffs" the transponder signals. I use a tablet for navigation and weather and traffic is displayed on it from the Uavionix setup. There is more info on some forum threads if you do an ADSB search.
    Still have a 3 foot drift of snow in front of the hangar , so haven't been able to do testing yet but hopefully later this week. Bruce N199CL

Jeff,

Following the success that "BOGMONSTER" on this list had with using the uAvionix in his Kitfox, I purchased the same ECHO UAT and SKYFYX for our plane. Simplicity of installation, cost, utilization of the existing transponder, runs both frequencies (UAT and Extended squitter), bluetooths to a tablet for ADS-B In and the fact that the company is not a jonny-come-lately in the market as they have been making miniature ADS-B out products for drones for quite a while all played into my choice. Setup is simple and can be done with either an android or ipad

Don't have it installed yet but hope to do that after things warm up a bit out here.

You can get on their website and look up the installation manual if you are interested in how that works.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Some pics of my Echo install

Bruce, I'll be very interested in hearing how your unit is working out when you get flying. That's the combo I'm aiming for later this summer.

I was reading on an RV forum that some people are having trouble with ghost planes (real planes that disappear and reappear later). uAvionics was working on their filtering algorithms to combat this. There just isn't much information out there on this.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Bruce, I'll be very interested in hearing how your unit is working out when you get flying. That's the combo I'm aiming for later this summer.

I was reading on an RV forum that some people are having trouble with ghost planes (real planes that disappear and reappear later). uAvionics was working on their filtering algorithms to combat this. There just isn't much information out there on this.
    Paul I will pass on my results as soon as I get this pesky snow to melt at my airstrip. Bruce N199CL

Has anyone investigated this ADS-B system?
    https://www.flyingmag.com/avionics-g...-its-true-sort

If so, what is your impression. I'm trying to determine where to locate various antenna and reading other threads, I've determined that I need to know more about the electronics I'm going to use first.

That article is from 2015. Navworks had some issues with the FAA and is no longer doing business.
    Ralph

The weather and snow melt has finally allowed me some test flights with my new Uavionix Echo UAT and SKYFYX ext GPS ADSB combo(man thats a mouthful of acronyms ). My setup is as follows :the above mentioned ADSB setup from Uavionix sending to a Samsung Galaxy tablet running the Naviator app. (On the Uavionix website they have an extensive list of apps they are compatible with ) The ADSB "in " info is weather and traffic and works very well so far. One of the features that turned me on to this setup was the fact that I could use my current Microair transponder and the signal would be magically "sniffed" by the Echo UAT , although if you choose to, the transponder can be hardwired to the ECHO. After conferring with tech support(found them very helpful and willing) at Uavionix they told me sniffing would be fine , so that is the route I chose. Just finished a test flight tonight and I went on the FAA ADSB performance test website to generate a flight report which was a pass with no abnormalities so I am good to go. Overall I found this package to be an small, lightweight, economical solution to the 2020 mandate , easy to install and configure with great company tech support support. Earlier in this thread you can see pictures of my install. Bruce N199CL

Bruce, where did you mount your stubby antenna? How far from your transponder ant is it? I think i heard they wanted 5 feet separation?
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind