Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 52 of 120 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

I did my wheel alignment with the plane in level flight attitude. My reasoning was: the most critical time when squirrliness and ground looping is during fairly hi speed tail-up takeoff roll and landing rollout after wheel landing which tend to be at higher speed than 3-pointers. My gear was dead nuts at neutral with no shims in level attitude and I just left it that way. I do most of my landings 3-point and it seems to behave well in that attitude also. This is just my thinking, but I also see the logic in John's post.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I had the same results as "jiott" and didn't feel the need to make any adjustments. I don't have any problems with wheel or 3 point landings.

Using grease plates is a good idea.

Another thing to consider is loading the plane to a "normal" flight weight. The landing gear will be spread more and change the caster/camber. The minimum weight would be with the pilot, some amount of fuel (3/4 to full).
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks guys. After Jims reply I started thinking of all the variables at play here. Since everyone seems to agree that there are many variables, I think I'll give John M a call to see how they do it. I don't want to be purchasing more of these shims than needed. More importantly, I don't feel like ground looping.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Always good to hear straight from the horse's mouth. Will you post what you find out here?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Okay, spoke with John M today. The factory corrects toe in/out while the aircraft is in level flight position. I was advised that I could do it in a three point attitude no problem. His opinion is that the change in attitude won't change the math that much. He advised, as we have heard here already, to make sure there is a smidge of toe out if not directly straight ahead. Avoid Toe in.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Well, Im waiting for my wire harnesses. Here is an update. I turned in all my data three and a half weeks ago. At that time I was informed that it would take two weeks to complete. Three weeks later I was provided about half the harnesses that I ordered. Tomorrow is the end of the fourth week and Im told they will not have the job done but can expect some addtl harnesses by the end of the fifth week. So, that will bring us right up to the date they will be fixing to leave for Oshkosh. Not sure who from the Avionics department may be going but I bet that this is the next explanation for why I'm not getting my stuff. Im not sure how this avionic shop continues to operate?
    Eddie.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

That's frustrating Eddie. Hopefully the trickle of harnesses you're getting is enough to keep you moving forward.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Who is building you Harness?

Almost makes you wish you had decided to do it yourself.

Ralph

To some extent your right. I wish I were not under the control of this shop. They have my money and I'm not going to print the name here again because I made a comment about the shop here before and how one should not expect good customer service from them should they buy avionics from them. Two weeks after I posted that, I got an email from the owner who handled the issue very nicely. I was impressed. I was glad to have had that kind of service so I continue to patronize them. However, I will not drop another dime on this department ever again while it is under this manager even though he is very nice. I will say that it is a very large operation with one warehouse here in Corona CA, One in Canada and another back east someplace. Its named after a specific wood used for aircraft construction. The wood source is Sitka Alaska. Sorry if I am evasive but they have trolls (or computers) on these forums looking for their name and then they call on you. That's great but I don't feel like going through the conversation again since I know where it will get me. I will just take my money elsewhere and one day this shop will probably fail and the problem will be solved. I spoke to my DAR (EAA tech counselor) who has been hearing the same thing about this operation. The other day someone posted here that they received a cable that was wired wrong. Wonder if he got an email from the owner yet?
    Anyhow Brian, since I have been working a lot lately the fact of the matter is, This hasn't put a huge damper on my work so...
    I am posting so that everyone here is a bit more informed. No malice just hope the shop turns around.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X