Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: A better regulator?

Default A better regulator?

Has anyone used one of these with their 912? It looks like a very well-made unit with a super heat sink and a 47 amp rating.

http://www.silent-hektik.com/UL_R_912.htm
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: A better regulator?

197 euros = $223.02 at today's exchange + shipping & import duties from Europe.

Rotax pn 965-349 - $175.56

My German is a little rusty, does it state that the higher 47 amp rating is available without modification to the internal alternator on the engine? If this is true it could be a cool option for those in need of more power...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: A better regulator?

Larry, if I'm not mistaken I think the ad implies that the standard regulator is marginally designed for the limits of application. The 47 A rating doesn't change the output capability of the dynamo, it just allows the regulator to do it's job with a little more cushion from damage while working at the limit of the dynamo. The much larger heat sink also helps. There are several free websites & programs that will translate things like this. I used Google Translate, and it worked fairly well. The ad also says that the "standard" recommended 22,000 uf 25v capacitor is marginal, and they recommend a 33,000 uf 40v one. There seems to me to have been a lot of questions and some controversy about exactly why that capacitor is there. This ad seems to imply that it is there to allow the dynamo to operate in the event of battery disconnect or failure. I could be wrong, but that's what I get out of it... interesting.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime