Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 28 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Hey Carl, since you are near Tyler do you happen to know the composer Arnold Sherman?

Jim

Carl,
    To be honest we have been getting some bigger than usual temperature changes here as well.

Jim,

I don't know Mr Sherman but looked him up out of curiosity. His web site has quite a collection of pieces he has composed or arranged. As I'm sure you know, several of the pieces have .mp3 files of 3-4 minute selections from performances by various ensembles. He is the Music and Arts Director at a local church. They surely must have a fantastic bell choir under his direction.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Yes, Arnold is a master of arranging, I was fortunate to have attened a few of his clinics over the years, he gave me a great perspective in conducting several of my own hand bell choirs, small world.

Back to the plane, did you, any of you find the line that is drawn on the instrument panel from Kitfox to be the final shape. I do not have the firewall forward yet ( I called Debra yesterday to make the order but no callback, maybe today) but I am ready to start the panel layout.

Yes, I used the line as the final shape. It worked well.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim

I needed a refresher on the Beech Staggerwing rib lacing knot. There are a few videos on YouTube but Wendy Pemberton has a nicely done demo. Ignore her NESW signs and just watch her tie the knot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OsIBk_RWQY

One tip not mentioned. After traveling to the next hole along the rib, you'll pull the cord tight to help bury the just finished knot. Be careful to pull with your hand near the surface of the wing rather than raised above it. Pulling up risks having the cord rip the fabric in a neat line right along the rib to the previous knot.

On most ribs I ran the dual 1/2" nylon reinforcing tape as a complete wrap of the wing from top trailing edge to bottom trailing edge. The tape stops short on ribs with the flaperon hinges. On rib #2, I followed the complete wrap pattern for appearance. Just before completing taping of the second wing I ran out of reinforcing tape. Didn't help that there was an ugly, sewn splice in the middle of the spool.

Big public thanks to Eddie Forward who had spare tape and immediately dropped the needed length in the mail. Nice group of people we have around here!

Step 1 of the Staggerwing Knot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I would like to second the comments on Eddie. He has helped me out too!

Thanks Eddie!

Rib lacing is complete. Two inch finishing tapes will cover the ribs and the Oratex tapes come pre-glued. However, a double coat of glue spread over the area will insure a good bond over the stitches and nylon tape. The nylon tape is 1" wide so the blue painter's tape can lay just outside the stitching holes but accuracy isn't that critical.

A thin coat of Oratex glue can dry pretty quickly and the blue painters tape won't pull a clean line once the glue starts to setup. Working one rib at a time, spreading a coat of glue all the way around the wing, followed immediately by the second coat, then pulling the tape leaves clean lines. Painting all of the ribs then trying to pull the tape would leave a more jagged glue line. The rotisserie got a nice workout.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Looking good Carl - enjoying the posts.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)