Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Feb. 2010 Kitfox of the Month Paul Zimmerman

Default Re: Feb. 2010 Kitfox of the Month Paul Zimmerman

Now to see how many times I can bounce it down the runway before I stick the landing. I sure hope Preston at S&R is a patient instructor.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Ok some mental practice this morning.

I've got to keep thinking
    slow her down, slow down, 70 mph on downwind, 70 mph on downwind
    65 on base, 65
    65 on final, 65
    60 on the fence, a little power to get over the fence, slow down, slow down
    chop the throttle, 60 - 55 mph over the numbers,
    Don't flair too soon, don't flair, look down the runway get the right sight picture
    Start the flair, flair, flair, flair, stick back, stick back, HOLD THE DAMNED STICK BACK, HOLD THE DAMNED STICK BACK!

She's not a tricycle gear any more, your landing a tail Dragger now.

I can see Preston face now , with him yelling "We're gonna die."
    Last edited by Paul Z; 09-27-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul,
    I probably shouldn't even respond as I am not qualified to provide any instruction to anyone about anything, but I do a lot more off airport landing than I do landing on pavement. I see A LOT of guys landing WAY TOO FAST for short and unimproved strips. Which means, they are landing way to fast, period. Why? It is my opinion that on final (long or short) most pilots use the throttle to control speed, and the stick to control attitude and altitude. If you watch or talk with a good bush pilot, they will tell you to do just the opposite. On final (long or short) use your stick to control speed. Too fast, pull the stick back to slow down. Too slow, push the stick forward or relax the rearward pressure to increase speed. Then, use the throttle to adjust your rate of descent, or glide slope. Too high, pull back on the throttle. Too low, push forward on the throttle. This system is opposite from all your other phases of flying. If you use this method, and do it right, your nose will be all the way up and your stick will be all the way back at touchdown. Your throttle will be all the way closed (back). And, most importantly, your plane will be all done flying. That translates into a nice soft landing with a very short roll out. I fly a nose dragger and the nosewheel never touches the ground until I'm almost stopped. The nosewheel may be on the ground for maybe 50 feet, then I'm stopped. This method, when learned well, will allow you to land slow, hit your predetermined mark almost every time, and most importantly you will be in control of your plane all the way to the ground. I learned this method from guys that fly back county all the time and it works. Remember, this advise is worth every penny you paid for it.
    Last edited by SkySteve; 09-27-2014 at 12:51 PM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve,
    My first concern is just getting my speed down. I land way tooooooo damned fast, very bad habit. What is your airport I.D., I'm probably coming through that way on my way home. No guarantees considering weather seem to dictate route.

Paul
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul,
    I hangar in Ogden, UT (KOGD), class D. If you want a dirt strip, just ask the tower for 21Dirt. Line up on 21, about half way down the runway side slip to the left (east side) and you've got 1,600 feet of packed dirt/gravel (so you can land 4 times, or so). Come on by and we'll do a little quick flying together. Need a place to stay the night? You're welcome to stay at my place. No time? How about a quick lunch at the airport Auger Inn. Can't go wrong there. I'll even buy. Need fuel? Ogden has that too. Two old guys flying Kitfoxes, couldn't get any better than that! 801-seven niner one-four seven 7 seven.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

We will definately consider going that way. It all depends on weather. I have two flight plans layed out. If I come that way, I'll definately take you up on a lunch, and maybe the bunk. I'll send you a PM when I know more.

I did about 3 hours and 15 or so take off & landings. My first wheel landing was down right UGLY. I'll need a few more hours and a few more take offs & landings. Full stall landings were getting pretty good. I really like the 8.5 smoothies, the plane taxies well, and the really are forgiving on landings. I usually fly numbers, Preston flys the picture in the windscreen. I really had a good time flying today, I got over my case of nerves, and things went much better. We flew down the river near Homedale. I really like the new variable speed trim, fly it hands off on a smooth day. All in all I am really pleased with the conversion. I think I picked up a little on the cruise speed. All in all a great day.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Okay, Paul. I expect to see you fly into the ultralight field next year for Oshkosh. Taildraggers don't need that long paved runway…

You've got a year to get your act together. So-- Get on it, man.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Okay, Paul. I expect to see you fly into the ultralight field next year for Oshkosh. Taildraggers don't need that long paved runway…

You've got a year to get your act together. So-- Get on it, man.
    I concur with the first paragraph. However the second is going to be tough. Get my act together will take a lot more than a year! Oh, Wait are you referring to mastering a tail wheel, hopefully that will be achievable. But me getting my act together I don't think so!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Right on, Paul! I'll save a spot for ya.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

John posted this photo on his Facebook Page. I really liked the photo, she looks nice. I just finished checking all of the Torques on the Gear per John's instructions. Hopefully the weather is conducive to some flying Tuesday or Wednesday. Landing gear torques are good, I got my oil change done, the Rotax float issue doesn't apply to my engine, I'm read to go do some Touch & Go and hit a few of the grass strips in the area.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Z; 10-12-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas