Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Need Storage Help! Popup Carport Barn/Tarp shelter

Default Need Storage Help! Popup Carport Barn/Tarp shelter

Has anyone used or tried something like this to store a kitfox?

I am having issues with finding a home for my kitfox and can't seem to track down a place that can produce a trailer to hold it in the Pacific Northwest.

It's currently being stored in a large pole barn and would like to get it out of there.

I also live in high winds area.

https://www.houzz.com/product/581819...porary-gazebos

Any other ideas would be great!

Default Re: Need Storage Help! Popup Carport Barn/Tarp shelter

Have you considered a quonset hut?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset_hut

While more expensive than the barn shelter you posted, a quonset hut will provide more protection as it's made of metal.

If you decide to go with the fabric covered building like in your link, make sure the sub structure tube is strong enough to withstand your winds. I have a 30'x40' structure like the photo that I use for equipment storage, and I live in the Buffalo area where we get winds and a bit of snow , and it has held up well for 15 years so far . Check our Farm Tek online - that was the supplier of my fabric cover - my substructure tubing is 2 " diameter . I have see lesser structures like these around here fail either due to wind or snow load. Bruce N199CL

I looked at these last year. I think I even made a thread. So glad I didn't. They just don't withstand much of a snow load at all, and not a lot of wind either. I saw a hilarious amount of them on the curb after a big wind day a few weeks ago.

I had one of those from Shelter Logic that I used to build quite a lot of my series 6 in. My only complaint was it did not keep the dust and dirt out during the high winds we had in Sandy Valley NV. 40 mph winds were considered a gentle breeze. Would I do that again? Absolutely, but I loved the airpark that I lived at (3L2). Alas I have sold everything aviation related and I now am in a partnership in a campground in Green River Utah. I drive to the local airport (u34) now and get my aviation fix. I will pick up anyone that flies in and bring them here, loan my pickup so they can see the state and national parks here.
    Steve

Very nice offer Steve.
    Anyone thinking of a Utah or “Out West”. flying trip should make note of your generous offer. Beautiful State for a Kitfox adventure.

Hope your Green River venture is a big success. Glad you are still hanging out with us.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Steve,

Hopefully soon I'll have my plane up and flying and can swing down for a visit!

I'm taking note....but, can you tell us the name of the camp ground. This is just the kind of thing I hope to do with my plane. I have your name, if I had the campground name we will have a way to connect.
    Eddie

How about something like this?

http://www.barnworld.com/cattle-guar...-28-feet-long/

I'll bet if you called them or one of the companies that make similar shelters, and told them what you needed, they may be able to custom design something like this to "Kitfox hangar" specs.

-David