Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Torque Values

Default Re: Torque Values

I have a Craftsman 0-300 in-lb clicker which is real nice for spark plugs and larger bolts, but I found that a small 0-50 in-lb beam style was the one I used most in my kit building for the numerous small nuts/bolts. These small bolts are the easiest ones to damage with overtorque if you are not using a torque wrench.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    FWIW from an anal engineer: I would suggest investing in your own torque wrenches. Wrench accuracy can vary widely depending on use and abuse. If you have your own, you can calibrate and use the same wrench every time. My Craftsman 3/8" and 1/2" clickers work fine.

Greg

I mentioned I was looking to buy a 0 to 300 and borrow my neighbors Snap On torque wrenches. So, I would own the former and the latter belongs to an A&P friend of mine. Is Snap On a poor quality tool? I thought it was a good brand because every mechanic at my previous flying job had a rolling tool box full of their stuff.

Steve

Thanks Jim, I will add the 0 to 50 to my cart.

Steve

Snap On is pretty much regarded as the nicest tools you can buy. And you do PAY for them. I love my SnapOn stuff but it’s hard to justify the price...
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I would personally stay away from Harbor Freight for torque wrenches. This is one tool where you want quality and accuracy and I have heard (hearsay only from several sources) that HF torque wrenches are inconsistent in that regard. If you have a way to check calibration, then go ahead. Just my 2 cents.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    I mentioned I was looking to buy a 0 to 300 and borrow my neighbors Snap On torque wrenches. So, I would own the former and the latter belongs to an A&P friend of mine. Is Snap On a poor quality tool? I thought it was a good brand because every mechanic at my previous flying job had a rolling tool box full of their stuff.

Steve
    Snap On is fine - the point was to use the same torque wrench each time with the same calibration (that can differ to if not done correctly). So if your neighbor is not around, moves, etc. - I find it easier to own my own and know how it was used and calibrated.

Impossible to justify the price, but I do have a really nice quarter drive
    Snap-On ratchet the mechanic who ripped me off fixing my car made the
    mistake of leaving under the hood ... Wish I had more sockets than just
    the 10mm he left on it ...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Snap On is pretty much regarded as the nicest tools you can buy. And you do PAY for them. I love my SnapOn stuff but it’s hard to justify the price...

Thanks everyone. That helps a lot. I am just trying to get most everything that I need so I am not stopped in my tracks because I don’t have a particular tool.

Steve