Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Total Newbie, where to begin?

Default Total Newbie, where to begin?

Greetings all.

This may have been covered elsewhere in the forums, but my google-fu is failing me.

I have become interested in building and flying a Kitfox. Duh, thats why were all here right? lol. Anyway, the Experimental world is completely foreign to me. Is there an easy reference anywhere on the processes involved? For example, once I get my kit, is it a straight thru build? Or are there any FAA inspections involved during the build? After the build?

And what about licensing and medicals? I nearly completed private pilot flight school back in high school in the early 1990's. Would any of that flight time count, or am I starting from scratch?

Ive been lurking the forums for a little bit now, and have been enjoying the build threads and learning as I read. I just haven't found any of the legal stuff.

Thanks guys and gals,

Daniel

Default Re: Total Newbie, where to begin?

The only required inspection is after the build before certification. You’ll need a DAR to inspect it and give you your airworthiness certificate.

Your previous hours count toward your license but I’m not the guru on basic med, sport pilot vs regular pilot certificate.

1) Join EAA. You'll learn a lot from their magazine.

2) Browse these forums and the Vans forums. Tons of good info that will make more sense the more you read. Ask questions. We are noob-friendly.

3) Your flight time will "count", but you'll be close to starting from scratch anyway, so it probably is not an important consideration.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill definitely be hanging around. And Ill look into the EAA and Vans sites as well.

Unless a deal falls into my lap, might be a while before I can get my hands on a plane. Im a poor paramedic. lol

I will pile on a bit.

If possible I would:

1. Find a local instructor and start working on the license again. A lesson or two here or there is fun and requires less cash right now.
    2. Find a local EAA chapter that is active in building. They will be a wealth of in person information. Someone there may even have or know of a Kitfox being built nearby. Of course TeamKitfox and Vans Airforce website are awesome sources of info.
    3. Order a kit as soon as possible. If you like to build stuff and you like to fly, you will love it.
    Last edited by N981MS; 10-12-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Quote Originally Posted by N981MS View Post
    I will pile on a bit.

If possible I would:

1. Find a local instructor and start working on the license again. A lesson or two here or there is fun and requires less cash right now.
    2. Find a local EAA chapter that is active in building. They will be a wealth of in person information. Someone there may even have or know of a Kitfox being built nearby. Of course TeamKitfox and Vans Airforce website are awesome sources of info.
    3. Order a kit as soon as possible. If you like to build stuff and you like to fly, you will love it.
    I wish I had a EAA active chapter near me in Utah. I live in SLC and the closest chapter that seems to be active is north about an hours drive ;(

An hour?! That should be decompress time once a month. Here in Southern CA thats a daily ritual for nearly every time we get in the car, but in our case its "Compress" time. Probably the term "road rage" originates here for that reason.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X