Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: kitfox heater

Default kitfox heater

what heater did you put in your kitfox and where did you purchase it

Default Re: kitfox heater

I can give you an inexpensive answer for a heater,..
    go to your local autoparts store ,..ask to see the smallest heater core they have,..preferably aluminum,.. and get 2 gate valves the same size as your hoses,..go to a radio shack and get a computer cooling fan and a potentiometer switch,..make up a little plenum to fit over the top side of the horizontally mounted heater core that the cooling fan can mount to.
    you can wire tie the core to the under dash structure.

once its all hooked up,.you can connect both gate valves to a single cable so that one is opened and the other is closed by a control inside the cockpit,.. or put them both at 1/2 opened or close the heater curcuit off during the summer,..by passing it by closing the heater core valve and opening the cooling curcuit or visa versa

Chase
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 09-29-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Thumbs up Re: kitfox heater

Just purchased a 6"x7" heater core from NAPA for only $25.62. Fits a 5/8" hose. The stock # is 660-3076 and the heater core is also used on '74-'79 Ford F150's and F350's. The heater core is aluminum and weighs only 1 lb.
    Last edited by P Morel; 12-12-2011 at 11:40 AM.

My engine is an air cooled Jabiru 2200. It has a shroud mounted over the heads, that directs cooling air to the heads. Of course the CHT still gets to about 300, so the air flowing over the heads is warm at the back end. Which got me to thinking. I could put a hole in each shroud (right and left), add a small duct fitting each side, run the small ducts into a fitting on the firewall with a butterfly valve and lever for opening it in the cabin. It would take the unfiltered air flowing over the heads into the cabin; which ought to add some cabin heat, and may actually improve head cooling by allowing more cold air in at the front end. Comments? Suggestions? Objections? The plane has no cabin heat at all now. The carb heat muff just goes to the carb, though the duct for it actually goes in and out of the cabin. But that duct only gets hot air if the carb heat is on. If the carb heat valve were located at the carb end of the duct, I could have added cabin heat from that line.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

SkyPirate, how much warmth is added to your cockpit with this setup? I am installing an HKS and plan on doing this exact setup. I am moving to Alaska here soon so I am wondering what clothes you are wearing at what FAT that is comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by DBVZ View Post
    My engine is an air cooled Jabiru 2200..
    I believe that there is always exhaust gas leaking at the junction of header and exhaust pipe and that gas is in the plenum space, no? So you would be ducting carbon monoxide straight into the cabin with this setup.