Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

Denali

Default Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

Is anyone considering using a product called "Oratex" to cover their KitFox wings and fuse?

Back in 2011 there was some discussion here about using a relatively new German covering product called Oratex. Here are the old threads:
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ghlight=oratex

Oratex has two websites, one for Germany and the other for their US Distributor who is in, why of all places, Anchorage, Alaska !! Yeah Alaska !!!

Germany:

http://www.oracover.de/

USA

http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/oratex.html oratex6000

This new Oratex material comes in two thicknesses (which they designate as 600 & 6000). It has gotten a lot of discussion on some of the other sites:

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthrea ... ght=oratex

Claimed advantages include lighter weight, ease of application, availability in many colors, etc.

Right now I'm looking at building a somewhat larger non LSA 4 place aircraft, but I have always had very very high regard for Kitfox. Actually if the right deal came along, I'd probably jump on a Kitfox as well. There is no FAA regulation...( yet)... which says one can only own one aircraft.

Any KF builders care to share their thoughts ?

Safe skies....

Default Re: Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

Hi, I saw it being used in Germany, they did an AN-2 Biplane with the oratec 6000.
    But I didn't use it myself so far

Greets
    Tuna

I got a sample kit at OSH last year, which I haven't used yet. There was also a guy covering his Kitfox with the stuff there. He was doing it right outside on the grounds in the ultralight area. I'm going to play with it a little and see if it's a viable alternative for me.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Here is what an air-frame mechanic, with decades and decades of experience told me: Don't put anything on your plane that has not already been on planes at least 20 years. That advise was free, but worth big bucks (hear about the water born covering system tried on Ag-cats? Lasted 2-years, then required 100% recover). Roger

Do you have a site I can visit about the agcat covering, would like to investigate the issue.

Flybyjim:
    The Ag-cat story didn't come from the internet (surprise! ), it came from an actual mechanic standing in front of me. To be exact, he was buying my cassutt kit ( Reno air racer) a couple years back. He did the work on the Ag-cat himself. He said, even sitting outside, exposed to chemicals, oil and pesticides on a regular bases, the old solvent based process (Stits ?) will produce a finish that will last a solid 20 years.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by rogerh12 View Post
    Here is what an air-frame mechanic, with decades and decades of experience told me: Don't put anything on your plane that has not already been on planes at least 20 years. r
    While I know what the guy was getting at, I think this is one reason the aviation is held back. Attitudes like this are why we are just starting to get EFI 30 years later. There have been a lot of good start-ups that went bankrupt because everyone was waiting for the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerh12 View Post
    Here is what an air-frame mechanic, with decades and decades of experience told me: [I]Don't put anything on your plane that has not already been on planes at least 20 years. Roger
    I think I have to go with Roger and his friend on this one.

I checked the Oratex site and the preliminaries pretty much turned me off.

I didn't count the number of times "toxic" was mentioned, but it was a bunch. For an amateur builder who will cover one or maybe three airplanes in his lifetime, in my opinion, "toxic" is not an issue. I remember many times in the past where Polyfiber and its MEK based adhesive was panned with words like "extremely hazardous" and "carcinogenic". Check the MSDS. It is pretty benign unless you cover in a closed room or decide to see what it tastes like.

Then they talk about the "ten or more coats is common and 20 is not unheard of" and the time to apply as a big negative. I might have had ten coats on my first airplane, but I had a very complex color scheme that accounted for the last four coats. If you want a color scheme or a fine finish using Oratex you will have to paint it as well, though if you are OK with a single color on each panel - no paint required.

Check out the photo galleries. the fabric seems sort of transparent. Then the Problems with other fabrics gallery. I have seen this type of problem, but it has usually been after using one system for cover and then using an incompatible top coat system. I saw this a lot at a Rans fly-in where they used auto paint over Polyfiber.

In twenty years, I might change my mind.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I tend to be very cautious of the latest & greatest too. Being pretty old-fashioned, I really like "steam gauges" & the look of round dials, especially on something like a Kitfox. I'm gonna get a color tv someday also... when they perfect them.

The Oratex is not translucent. It's opaque, very tough, & light. They make color-matching paint, trim material, etc. The glue seems to be similar to Stewart System's, which is really nice. It's a pretty slick idea, & ideally I'd like more "history" also before committing. Esser's got a good point, & technology's advance would be pretty slow if nobody jumped in on the ground floor.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

saw this covering system on line and was intrigued by the simplicity, sure does cut out a lot of work and need to build a paint booth in the shop. also will save a lot of weight. also I under stand that rans will offer it in the rans 6es kit that uses per finished envelopes. all that being said I think I would give a good look if I were going to cover another airplane and was looking to save time and weight. just my 2 ct.