Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Brake line fairing or grommet

Default Brake line fairing or grommet

I’m working on routing my brake lines. I remember a post that had a picture of the lines going through the fuselage fabric to the grove gear. The line had a fairing or grommet at the fuselage for a smooth transition and aerodynamics. I’ve searching the forum, but I can’t find it. Anybody know the post or the piece that I’m taking about? Much appreciated.

Default Re: Brake line fairing or grommet

Here's mine using rudder cable fairings from Spruce I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I used AN fittings to make the transition.

The fitting shown in 1st pic is a rudder cable pass through fitting available at Air craft Spruce. I used them on my installation during the build and also installed a forward set for use in a tailwheel configuration. So if shifting to tail wheel just remove the compression fittings fitting and withdraw brake lines from the aft fittings and reinsert through the forward fittings. Attached are two pics showing the inside view of the brake lines. My exterior looks same as the one in show in the post, except my lines went straight into the gear instead of with a 90deg angle. Leave enough slack in the lines to allow for flex in the grove gear cross member.

Mr. Bill, looks to me that those brake fittings don't allow for the quite considerable flexing of the Grove gear crossmember. It moves a LOT.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I used these. ID is just right for the brake line. Comes in a pair as well! I backed them up with a piece of round abs cut from .040 white sheet also from the local mini airplane store!

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD860
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Perfect!!! Thanks guys...

The fittings are not too far from the gear pivot point so the flex has not been a problem. As with turnbuckles, there are always more than one way to do anything. You pays your money and takes your choice (Popeye I think).

Go to the factory Webb site and look at the video “KitFox at play, about 1:45 into it and see how much the gear flexes.