Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ploly-fiber or Stewart system - roll on metal coat ok ???

Default ploly-fiber or Stewart system - roll on metal coat ok ???

Howdy all;

I will be covering my model 4 soon, and I kinda just want to apply all the finishes (except the final color top coat) with a roller or brush (I was going to have a real paint shop spray the colors). This would of course also include the metalizing coats, which are typcally sprayed on. If I do this with somehting like a good foam roller, will it just look bad, or just a little "less good" than if I was using a sprayer for the metal layer. I am not looking for a work of art, just a rugged and sturdy finish to protect the plane and not get me laughed at on the ramp.

Thanks in advance
    Roger

Default Re: ploly-fiber or Stewart system - roll on metal coat ok ???

As far as the Stewart System - You should be just fine especially if you're gonna have the top coat sprayed. All of their fillers and primers are sandable so even if you do get a few bumps or roller marks you can easily sand them out and reapply if you need the depth. Or you could just add an extra coat, sand smooth, and take it to the paint shop. Rolling it on shouldn't be any less rugged as long as you keep the coats light and apply with the same timing as if you sprayed.

I love the Stewart System. Lots of flexibility.

Edit: Sorry, I was just referring to the Stewart System. Can't speak for poly fiber.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 04-04-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Oh ya the Stewart methode sounds great, roll it on, sand it off, no sprayer fuss, no smells in the garage. Just sand my mistakes away and send the whole thing out tothe painter, ready to shoot in my final color. Is it really
    that easy????

Thanks for the advise !!!!

Roger

Well... not necessarily easy, but simple! lol. It all depends on how patient you are with sanding, but it's definitely doable with some patience. Hell, I bet you could roll it on smooth enough and even without sanding it could look just fine.

Well I paint rentals, and I can roll out pretty good, with a good roller, and I have a power sander, so I was thinking, that would make it more simple.
    Roger

In the last two years I've sprayed two planes with poly fibre system and it is real simple. Never spray painted anything before other than with a rattle can. Even used a pretty cheap spray gun from Harbor Freight. Built a spray booth that was about 11' wide X 22' long with clear plastic, made a vent from a window on one end, closed the garage door on a 20" box fan on the other and closed off the rest of the door with some plywood. System worked real good as far as I'm concerned. Of course I did it in the summer up here in Mn. I did try to roll some poly fibre on a patch with a foam roller once, it didn't come out all that great. The cemicals in the poly fibre don't like the foam rollers. Good thing it was on the bottom of the plane. Take care, Jim Chuk
    Avid MK IV (flying)
    Kitfox 4 (building)
    Northern Mn

Well my be a power sander will be a little aggressive on tha hard edge and ribs, i think the stitching won't love it, I don't know the saying in english but ...(Patience et longeur, valent mieux que force et rage.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/stewarts.../0/-a1esnxDXyw

Eric

Thanks for all the help guys !!!!
    Roger

Are you sure you can send it out for a professional paint job?

None of the pro's I'm aware of use Stewarts, and I'd be concerned about a standard Polyurethane like Imron or Jetglo sticking to the latex-based primer.

I just assumed I was going to have to paint it myself.

A buddy of mine restores Super Cubs, he uses Stewart Systems except for the paint.For paint he uses Martin/Senior Prism Urethane,his personal 2 Cubs have had it on for over ten years and it still looks great. The way he explained it to me is the water is just a carrier and you can put Urethane over it without any problems.I put some of Stewarts filler on a sample piece of fabric and even sprayed carb cleaner on it and it wouldnt touch it. Super good stuff.