Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 582 grey head or blue head??

Default 582 grey head or blue head??

Im looking to buy a 582 for my KF2 project. Ive read the blue head is less prone to cold seizure due to an improved coolant system,but the only one I can find is a new one for $5600 less gearbox and starter but has exhaust and carbs....
    The other option is grey head. There are several for sale. One for 3000 with no carbs, starter, gearbox or exhaust, but overhauled.
    I have a gearbox and a starter, but the only carbs I have are 2 503 carb that would hAve to be rejected for ab0ut $160 for both. I can keep looking just now sure if I should hold out for the blue head. It is that much better engine>??
    Thanks for any advice.... Mark

Default Re: 582 grey head or blue head??

I ran a grey head for 500 hours. The only mod was a blue head, or new model, crank. Apparently they were much better made than the original grey head crank. Cooling was fine, I always ran the thermostat so I didn't have any problems with cold seizure, though being in the southwest I probably wouldn't have anyway.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

There's no way I'd pay anywhere near $3000 for a bare Grey Head. There's a complete used one on Barnstormers for $3,000.

https://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=search

Im leaning more and more towards a factory new blue head.... All the grey heads were built prior to 1990 and so the only was a sane person could fly behind one is have someone tear it down, inspect it , reseal it, install the ceramic water pump seal and viton crank seals and even then you have to be careful how you operate it or else you could shock cool it and seize it up....
    Most all the grey heads are around 3000 to 3500 and no real history on them, how many hours etc. Maybe I guy could get lucky but if it failed you would then beinto it way more than just having bought a new blue head to begin with I thing. I reallize even a blue head can fail but I think I would have a better chance....with one....still learing all I can about them...

Actually the Blue Heads came out around 99-2000. I have a Grey Head from 98-99. If you have a plane that you plan to fly for a good while then buying a used or rebuilt Grey Head may not be a good investment. That's especially true if you decided to sell the plane in a few years and it has the older Grey Head in it.

That sounds rt 582-90 was designed and put around 1990

The 582-99 (bluehead) came out around 99 so that makes sense as well.

Most of the grey heads are 3000-3500 most without gearbox or accesories....
    by the time someone tears it down and inspects for corrosion, bearing issues and reseals it, you are up over 4000 if nothing is wrong....I think the 582 blue head new for 5600 is a better deal, comes with two new carbs and exhaust system....and a warantee.......Id have it test run and broke in by a Rotax service center before I put it in service......it cost a little more money up front but not if something goes wrong with those older gray heads......

Pic of grey head for sale
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know this thread is a little old, but thought I would throw this in there in case you haven't found one yet.

When I was in the market to replace my 532, I found a 582 blue head, with 12 hours on it, with Bill Larson from Oregon Aircraft Design for $4,200 complete...to include exhaust. You might want to talk to him and let him know what your looking for.

I'll have a 582 grey head for sale soon. I'm upgrading the 582 to a 912UL. The 582 will include exhaust, carbs, starter...
    The good news is it only has about 20 hrs TTSN. The bad news is, the motor hasn't been run in about 9 yrs.
    PM me for more info.

Way off topic, but since this is bbarras' first post, I thought it would be a good idea to welcome him to our Kitfox family. Brad just purchased his first Kitfox! A nice model IV. I'm looking forward to flying together as you get your new bird customized to your specs. Welcome to the family, Brad!!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos