Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kiev prop

Default Kiev prop

I had to get rid of my Kiev prop I just just received it last week to replace my Warp. Damn it was beautiful !!!!
    It just wouldn't perform as well. The dealer told me that I was the ONLY one of more than 500 props he has sold that did not get at least a 5-10 mph increase in cruise speed (that figures)
    Here are the numbers:

KIEV:
    (1) 12 degrees pitch, 4800 static,100mph at 5000rpm,5500 max throttle
    (2) 11 " " , 5000 " , 90 ' " " ,5800 " "
    (3) 10 " " , 5200 " , 80 " " " ,would exceed 5800

Notes: The pitch settings are per Kievs pitch adjustment tool not actual angles,the Kiev was 1 lb lighter. The Kiev was a whole lot smoother (like a turbine). During approach it took 2800 rpm to maintain 55mph approach speed vs idle on the Warp. ( kind of like going prop full increase on a constant speed) This was fine as the Kiev is a broader aerodynamic prop vs a slab. It was smooth,smooth,smooth !
    WARP:
    (1) 5200 static,90mph at 5000 rpm,5700 full throttle

Conclusion: I LOVED the looks of the Kiev but you can look only so much so I went back to my Warp. Bummer !! If I could have reached 5200 static (required) and the same cruise speed as the Warp,I would have kept it in a heartbeat ! I think the round cowl on my Fox is probably the reason I didn't get excellent results. The blade twist on the Kiev starts right at the hub whereas the twist on the Warp starts further out resulting in more air being stuffed into the cowl with the Kiev and more drag. (my theory anyway)The CHT and Oil temperatures were sure cooler with the Kiev
    The production on these props is pretty well sold out for the next 3 months as it is a pretty popular prop in this area of the country. I sold it in an hour.
    Dick Maddux
    Rotax 912 UL
    Milton,Fl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Kiev prop

I'm doubley sorry to hear your Kiev didn't perform well, both for you and for me. I have a model 4 Speedster that's not yet flying. I removed a GSC and ordered a new Kiev. It's, at least the best looking prop I've seen. I'll let y'all know how it does. James Thomas

I don't know,. I have a hard time keeping my eye on the prop when it's spinning performance would over rule any cosmetic appeal,..but it is a georgous prop,.do they offer an adaptable IFA version?
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 01-26-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: carnt spell carwreckly

Dick, try the IVO light prop in either ground adjustable or in-flight adjustable. You'll be done shopping props. and having to sell them after 2 flights. Smoother than the Warps and if you get the ground adjustable it takes about 20 seconds to try another pitch setting. No protractors or one blade tracking differently than the other two. You should be easily cruising at between 105 and 110 mph with strut fairings and the 912 Rotax.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I believe the Kiev comes in ground adjustable only but not sure.You could check the web site.
    I am going to fly this morning and check out my UMA tach to see if I am getting correct readings on my tach with a digital tach checker. That might be the problem although relative readings would still put the Warp ahead I think.
    Steve ,thanks for your input on the IVO prop,I will check it out. Where is the best source?I am not really shopping for a new prop.The Warp is just fine.The whole thing started when I saw a couple of Highlanders with the Kiev prop. One was white,the other black. It was the most beautiful prop I had ever seen! Looked like it belonged on a Ferrrari. Well, after a year of admiring it but absolutely no logical reason to buy one a friend of mine put one on a new Paradise SLSA (from Brazil) and picked up 10 mph in cruise. That was enough for me so I bought one. But,as the man says,you just can't stare at it,it has to perform ! Besides none of the rednecks down here know what an airplane is let alone a prop.
    Actually I think it would perform if I could get it right. The dealer is as frustrated as I am because in every case,except mine,they do exceptionaly well. I might be the tach.
    One other thing to add. The Warp prop hub attachment to the engine prop flange is far superior,I think. The HP hub I have uses bushings and the outer holes vs the inner 8mm the Kiev uses. It seems to me this would be a more stable prop mount,much like Cont/Lyc uses.
    By the way,my airplane has not been very fast. I have the 80 hp 912UL engine,fat tires,"bush gear" and I normally cruise around 5000 rpm vs 5500. I am not usually in a hurry to get anywhere. 85-90mph is about it.But if I could of picked up a few mph with the Kiev ... wellll.
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Dick, try the IVO light prop in either ground adjustable or in-flight adjustable. You'll be done shopping props. and having to sell them after 2 flights. Smoother than the Warps and if you get the ground adjustable it takes about 20 seconds to try another pitch setting. No protractors or one blade tracking differently than the other two. You should be easily cruising at between 105 and 110 mph with strut fairings and the 912 Rotax.

SHHHH. quit. don't give out my secret to my aircraft performance. I love wizing by other kitfox's that have another prop. Seriously, if you go IVO you won't go back.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Well I checked my tach today with a digital tach check instrument and the engine tach was close enough...bummer !
    Steve,give me a good place to check on the Ivo prop complete with pictures of it.
    Thanks,
    Dick

go here. http://www.ivoprop.com/ John sells them as well.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Hi Folk, I Have the two blade manuel in flight adjustable woodcomp varia composite prop from junkers czech republic. Have no doubt this combination suits the 80hp rotax, smooth, simple light and easy to install, max rpm on take off cruise 90 kts 5200 rpm, If I wish can idle engine 600 rpm, mk 4 1050lb speedster options reg G-FOXF. ps still have the gsc hanging in the garage,

Steve,
    Thanks for the info on the Ivoprop. I checked out the site. I am a little skeptical now. I don't particularly like the idea of tape on the leading edge. It's a little cheap in my mind. I had to do it on a Hegy prop once to keep from abrading the leading edge but then of course,it was wood.(used electrical tape) I much prefer the inlaid nickle on my Warp or the brass on the Kiev. The Ivo is not a particullarly good looking prop but the pitch adjustment looks nice! I have never seen one (again East/West US thing)
    I think it is difficult to tell hype from real numbers.It's kind of whatever you own is the best. I had heard the same improvement in performance from the Kiev prop and I sure like it. It is certainly the best looking. I really don't doubt the performance improvement is there but ,not on my aircraft. That smooth cowl has got to make a difference OR...OR.. I had the wrong size prop.
    I looked at the Whirlwind ,know nothing about it other than it is 3 lbs heavier then my Warp. I did see it on Johns aircraft at Lakeland last year. It too is a nice looking prop.
    I guess I am obsessing over this issue but,like all of us, I have an intense interest in my plane and want the best !
    Dick