Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

Ignore the scribe line. Just try to make it square and take off as little as possible.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

That's what I've read in other threads. On my right tip, the scribe lines ended up being perfect. I'm glad I did that one first. I'll be using a laser to make my own square cut lines. I think it will be fine.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Really great quality work there Brian. Wings sure look more like airplane wings with the Poly Spray on. Great progress.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Default Horizontal tail ribs.

On the Horizontal stab rib third from the tip, it appears in the manual that it should butt against the metal rib. The instructions note that the tolerance is 1/8" and that ribs can be trimmed to move them against the ribs. It specifically mentions the 308 rib. This one is the 304 rib. Without trimming, it sits a good inch away from the metal rib. If I trim it to put it against the rib, the contour will be off. I also note that the distance from the stab centerline given in the manual is 34 1/2 inches. The inboard side of the metal rib is at 35 3/8. Am I missing something here?

Last edited by aviator79; 04-14-2018 at 04:20 AM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I had the same concern; I ended up putting it against the metal for good stiffness and then readjusted the other ribs for fairly even spacing. When you do this, also take into account the positions of the elevator ribs, because you will want them all to line up for good appearance. In my opinion the very tiny effect on the airfoil profile is a non-issue.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

My thoughts were pretty much in line with Jim’s. I believe that I located that rib just a little bit away from the metal rib so that it would line up with the one on the elevator which was right against it’s metal tube/“rib”, and used small plywood spacers to bond it to the metal one.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Weekly update

I finished up the left wingtip. I used a laser to "scribe" a straight line. It worked well once I got it all set up.

Installed tail access cover mounting strips:

Glued the ribs into the horizontal stab and elevator:

While the epoxy cured, I trimmed and fit up the side stringers to the fuse. Then I fit the stab to the fuse. It's starting to look plane-like.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Excellent Brian, you're really moving along. Great tip on the laser. Looks like you got a really clean, straight line and a tight fit. Good job!

Clark

The only "trick" is to make sure that the surface you're projecting the laser onto is perpendicular to the plane of the laser, otherwise you'll get a curved line. I marked a few points along the laser line, then went back and drew the line with a pencil and straightedge before marking it again with blue tape.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification...

Clark