Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 75 of 119 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast

Thread: Where I Fly.

Default Re: Where I Fly.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Their attachment JPGs at the very bottom of the page.
    Eddie
    Gosh, if I had a brain I'd be dangerous! Thanks Eddie!

Yeah, cool pictures!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

That beautiful old Beaver is only on it's second owner, just like the Kitfox. The floats were made in Quebec Canada by Aero-Airset, no longer made though, they used to be Amphibs, Original owner did not like how small the front wheels were, so had all wheel gear removed, about 80 lbs worth.. so now she flies on straight floats..You can see how glassy the water was by the reflection of the front of the kitfox in one of these pics, tricky landing as I was totally unsure of where the surface was untill I touched down on it...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Side note but if anyone is interested, my registration marks come from a beaver that I have a fairly complete history on(Apparently it is being restored and will fly again):

c/n 807

54-1675 • N97582 • CF-OXD •

x

• 54-1675 US Army # 1518 L-20. No. 519. Command A-6. Delivered 16-May-1955. Built as L-20A and re-designated U-6A in 1962.

Accident: 16 mi. NE of Tucson AZ. 29-Jun-1962. On a flight from Fort Huachuca crashed at 6,000 ft. in the Santa Carolina Mountains.

• N97582 Details unknown.

• CF-OXD Imported into Canada. Regd. 1973.

• CF-OXD North Coast Air Services Ltd., Prince Rupert, BC. Regd at least prior to Certificate of Airworthiness renewal dated 02-Jul-1970 until at least after Certificate of Airworthiness renewal dated 30-Sep-1979.

Accident: Port Simpson, BC. Lat 54.32N, Long 130.34W. 08-Feb-1974. The aircraft encountered a strong gust as it was about to go on the step in a crosswind. The left float dug in causing the aircraft to swing to the left and slowly overturn. Pilot and five passengers were uninjured but one passenger received minor injuries.

• CF-OXD Mathew Ablas, Mt. Lehman, BC. On CCAR at May-1981.

• CF-OXD Harbour Air Ltd., Vancouver, BC. Canx 11-Jul-1983.

• CF-OXD Mathew Ablas, Mt. Lehman, BC. Canx 04-Aug-1983

C-FOXD M Allen Logging Co Ltd., Louis Creek, BC. Regd 17-Apr-1984. Canx 24-Feb-1994.

Note: FAA records also shows c/n 807 as N90723. No details other than Canx 20-Oct-1988.

• C-FOXD Air Nootka Ltd., Gold River, BC. Regd 24-Feb-1994. Canx. 10-Feb-2011. Regd 23-Feb-2011.

Accident: Escalante Point, BC. 02-Jul-2013. The DHC-2 Beaver floatplane, C-FOXD, operating as a charter flight by Air Nootka Ltd., . with one pilot, two passengers and two dogs on board experienced a hard landing at sea in the vicinity of Escalante Point on the Northwest coast of Vancouver Island. On touchdown, as the speed decreased the aircraft impacted with two successive heavy sea swells. The water poured over the front floats. The forward struts were fractured, the engine mounts collapsed, and the floatplane came to a stop pointing about 20 degrees nose down. The pilot called Company operations and another aircraft overflew the area. Kamloops ACC and FIC were advised. The pilot and passengers donned life preservers and fitted the dogs with same. Shortly a Coast Guard vessel arrived and all were transferred onto the vessel. By that time the airplane was pointed straight down and drifting toward the rocky shoreline. Minor injuries were reported; the aircraft sustained substantial damage:

After the landing the aircraft was pushed onto beach and damaged by heavy waves. The aircraft was recovered to Campbell River and declared as destroyed.

• C-FOXD Canx and deleted from register 03-Sep-2013.

• C-FOBF Sealand Aviation Ltd, Campbell River, BC • Regd 25-Nov-2015

Last edited by Esser; 02-15-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Two Weekends ago, 9 friends including my older brother, and I decided to go in search of the classical semi-desert pan in the North Western Parts of South Africa and land with our short field machines and camp for the night.

We found a pan on Google Earth, we did a deed search and asked the farmer if we could enjoy an evening on the pan and have him come and join us for a couple of drinks and a "Braai" (That's our word for a good old Barbeque).
    The kind gent and his family answered in the affirmative, so off we went!

1. Kitfox 5 with a Franklin 116hp Motor
    2. Bushbaby Explorer (Kitfox 4 copy) with 100hp Rotax.
    3. Cessna 170A.
    4. Sling 2 (totally South African designed and built Home Build)
    5. Supercub
    6 Cirrus Sr22 (not short field, but, MAN! Did this guy make it do marvellous stuff!

The rest of the group departed from Wings Park near East London and met my brother, Mark and I on my farm airfield, whereupon we went on to Queenstown (The Supercub had to refuel) and then to Gariep Dam.
    A guest house took us all in for the princely sum of + - 18 US Dollars each and they had a pool. It was 35 Degrees C (?? Fahrenheit), so in I went and washed my sweaty shirt.
    After Lunch, we were kindly taken on a tour of the internal structures of the Gariep Dam wall. This was commissioned in 1966 and was really interesting and an eye opener regarding the design excellence of those days.
    Saturday morning saw us departing Northwards along the Orange River for Lunch at an Afrikaner Town called Orania. These are a separatist group who are wanting to govern themselves in that tiny area. Also very interesting and to note was the politeness of everyone as well as the bus ride from the airfield to the restaurant and back costing $ 3.00. Not each! That's IT!
    After sitting out a 2.00pm storm, we left for the last 70Nm leg for the pan, and after selecting a suitable landing site without a layer of water we set down and camped.
    I phoned the farmer who promptly travelled the 40 km with his family to join us for the evening.

As things were beginning to get jolly, a Massive storm blew in and we all scrambled to hold down aeroplanes and forsook our tents. Mine snapped a pole and became a wet bag to sleep in.
    The lamb chops (we took an entire lamb cut into chops to eat) that hadn't been consumed were promptly covered in grit and mud.

After a not-so-great night's sleep, we had gritty lamb chops and boiled eggs for breakfast and set off for home.
    I tankered fuel for the Bushbaby and the C170 tankered fuel for the Supercub. I was heavy with full fuel, Gas Cylinder and all the cooking utensils, Most of the lamb, a tent, a passenger, 10 liters of fresh water and a Jerry can of Fuel for the Bushbaby. I also had my luggage and sleeping kit.

I burned 19 litres an hour and the whole trip was 8 hours.
    Most of all it was tremendous fun!
    Last edited by Rooster; 02-23-2017 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Grammar correction

Some More - Following on....

Last Ones....
    We flew low and slow all the way, and I am waiting for my co-pilot pal to send me the photos of all the game we saw; Gemsbuck, Hartebeest, Kudu, Many, Many Springbuck, Warthogs, Lechwe, Baboons, Blesbuck, Nyala, Wildebeest and much, Much More!

The PDF files are of the route and of my home.

Lovely trip and now possibly an annual event to another pan....

My friend Isaac with the Cirrus is now hunting for a Kitfox SS7. Any taildraggers available?

Those are awesome Rooster. Although I can't do anything like that yet it is great to see what may lay ahead when the SS7 is done.
    Eddie

Nice pics. I can see how that could become a mud field pretty quick! It's always a nice feeling when your plane is capable enough that it can take enough fuel for itself and others!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Great trip apart from the storm Reid! love the pics - thanks for the story.

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)