Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel in a Kitfox

Default Re: Travel in a Kitfox

Hey Thanks for the pictures, thats great! Are those folding bikes or just mountain bikes with wheels removed?

bandit

Those are two Dahon Mu folding bikes, 20lbs each.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Thanks again!

Bandit

Here is a comparison in travel comfort that might interest some...As far as hombuilts go I have flown in an RV-7 (round trip) from Phoenix to OshKosh
    and I have made the trip from Phoenix to Boise (round trip) in a Kitfox IV three times. The RV certainly wins as a time machine in speed, but the Kitfox took the comfort prize every time. The design of the seats have been well thought out and designed for the KF.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Very good to know, that was 1 of my concerns as well!

Thanks
    Bandit

Hello Bandit

We do not have a LSA classification in Canada. Suggest you go to the TC website and review the regulations before going too far.
    I thought you were coming down here to at least see what a completed Model V looks like.

Don

Hi Don,

I was meaning to and of course, it had to be one of those weeks! I am sorry that I didn't get back to you, and will try as soon as I possibly can! I don't usually have a lot of time in the summer and the week I planned on going to Penticton, everything went sideways! I am going to try again next week sometime, and if it still works for you I will give you a call!

Thanks
    Brent

Oh and I know it isn't LSA but is ultralight in Canada, but correct me if I am wrong, it is a similar class?

Thanks
    Brent

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    Oh and I know it isn't LSA but is ultralight in Canada, but correct me if I am wrong, it is a similar class?

Thanks
    Brent
    If google/wikipedia is correct, under the "Advanced Ultra-light Aeroplane" category, you're limited to a maximum take-off mass of 1,232lbs, and a minimum useful load of 400lbs (assuming 912ULS 100hp engine) or 390lbs (80hp 912). If I'm reading this correctly, a minimum of a recreational pilot's license is required to fly with a passenger, although I would personally recommend a private pilot's license simply because it allows you to fly internationally.

Using the previously quoted empty weight of 750lbs, the regulations would leave you with 482lbs total to work with, which would only allow 122lbs for baggage and fuel assuming two 180lb adults in the seats.

Given my previous recommendation for the private pilot's license, I'm of the belief one might as well spend the extra $200 for the 1,550lb gross weight landing gear and be able to fully utilize the additional 268lbs of useful load that a gross weight of 1,550lbs provides when compared to AULA operation.

The higher gross weight also allows for people like myself who weight a little more (I think I weigh in around 220lbs or so with typical clothing - joys of higher than average bone density: it seems almost impossible to break a bone, but you weigh more :P )

Yes u r correct, I had been informed from people that I assumed knew and they told me that Canada was at 1320lbs gross! I just checked the website and it is in fact 1232lbs! Damnit

Thanks for the tip, as I will probably have to forget about AULA I think!

Brent