Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin G5

Default Garmin G5

Did a few searches, but was unable to find info.

Curious who is running the G5 as their PFD? (for VFR obviously)
    Do you find the display big enough?
    Are the controls easy to use and intuitive?
    Are you using 2, one for HSI?
    Do you have any steam gauges as well and if so, which ones?

Default Re: Garmin G5

I installed 2 in my RV replaced the vacuum attitude indicator and DG. Still have regular altimeter,VSI, airspeed. Haven't flown them a lot. Only VFR but was planning on getting current IFR with them. I really like the HSI display.

I’d dump the dual G5 idea and go with the G3X.

This has been an idea. However, at nearly twice the price (once you add all the extras ones needs for the G3X), does it matter for VFR?

Nearly 4k for the 10.6" display and 3k for the 7"

Yes, once you add both G5's, its nearly as much (perhaps even slightly more), but I would not be adding both G5's at once. A single G5 (experimental version) is 2k which is A LOT more manageable at first.

Nothing really matters for VFR. The Kitfox can be easily flown with the panel completely covered, using attitude techniques and pilotage. The GPS in your smartphone will get you anywhere if pilotage fails you. In my opinion the whole panel thing boils down to your personal wants and your budget. So just look at what others have done and then make up your own mind; there are no wrong answers, just convenience.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

This is correct. This is why I am reaching out and gathering info on what others have do or think.

In the end I personally want some instruments so finding the best, overall, system is worth the research.

Thumbs up Garmin G5

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Nothing really matters for VFR. The Kitfox can be easily flown with the panel completely...

I agree, it all depends on what you want to do with your KF. I've been flying around with my KF for about twenty years with nothing more than a compass, turn coordinator, altimeter, VSI, ASI, and a ratty old handheld GPS. Good old fashion pilotage is my primary navigation with the handheld GPS as a backup.
    Last edited by Kitfox Guy; 10-10-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

I found this pretty interesting: https://aerovonics.com/av-30
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

That is pretty awesome. Judjing by the price of the AV 20 (900) I would estimate the AV30 to be similar, perhaps a little more. Not a bad little set up with two of those guys.

Like JimS, I will also be replacing my round vacuum horizon and DG with the G5 in my RV6A. It’s a great replacement instrument which can be configured to your liking. The price is right at $1200 a piece for non certified aircraft. However, if you have a new panel, something more “glassy” might be better. However, IMO, anything more than a compass and a turn and bank on a Kitox is overkill.....especially if you want to save money for stuff like...fuel to fly. Keep it simple and go fly. The Kitfox is the best thing in sport aviation!
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS