Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model 1 Transponder or Not

Default Model 1 Transponder or Not

Hey guys do you have to have a transponder if you are flying a model 1 with just a starter??? PS just under class B air space ??

Default Re: Model 1 Transponder or Not

The requirement for a transponder is based on airspace, not which aircraft you are flying or what kind of starter you have. Any aircraft flying inside the veil of class Bravo airspace (30 mile ring around class B airport) is required to have a transponder with at least mode C. If you are going to fly into class B airspace you must first contact a controller and get permission to do so. They will also give you a transponder code to squawk.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

My opinion is yes if the plane was originally manufactured with an engine driven electrical system.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Ok thanks. I was told by other guy on my field that if you did not have electric system on the plane your were not required to have it . He has a old Champ with no transponder in it ???

I believe the spirit of the rule was to allow planes without an alternator or battery to operate without a transponder, all else should have one. Or stated another way all planes should have a transponder unless you do not have an electrical system to support it.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 03-25-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Oldfox, I should clarify my post above. A transponder would be required in a plane that was originaly manufactured with an engine driven electrical system to enter airspace that requires a transponder.

You mentioned that you were under class B airspace. If that means beneath the floor of that class B air space then you don't need the transponder.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks Tom that helps I may still try to add to the plane

i used to fly a champ with no electrical. i've flown into class d airports with no problem, and under the tampa mode c veil. as far as certified aircraft go, if it was not originally certificated with a transponder, it's not required as long as your not going into class b or looking for flight following.
    ken

In my area I'll probably never need to fly through any airspace where I would need a transponder. There is no "B" airspace in my area and I can fly over or under the "C" airspace if I absolutely have to go through it. Oldfox has a different circumstance since his home field lies inside "B" airspace. I may see a need for one sometime in the future but for now I can't justify the expense for something I may never really need. I read recently that 75% of pilots never fly into controlled airspace. It all comes down to this. If you're going into "B" or "C" you need a transponder. If not, you don't. James Thomas