Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poly Fiber or Stewart covering system??

Default Poly Fiber or Stewart covering system??

Looking for pros and cons on the above systems. I was planning on using the Poly Fiber process, but the more I learn about the Stewart system, the more I'm considering it. What's your experience.
    Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: Poly Fiber or Stewart covering system??

I am not a fan of MEK. Used it enough and if theres an alternative, its worth it.
    I am using Stewarts on my Kitfox. Its easy to use and there are no hazardous fumes. You can actually attach the fabric and roll the primer in your living room and no one will smell anything!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Subscribed!

I used Stewarts. I love it. I love the glue and ekofill. So easy to work with. All non toxic and you can start and stop at pretty much any point in the process. Just tidy up the glue joints/fill layer you've initiated, put the cap on the bottle, and walk away. Paint was a little tricky, but no more than any other paint. You just have to follow the directions. After experiencing both covering systems for me Stewarts is so much more home builder friendly. Like I said above, it's just so easy to stop anywhere and pick right back up where you left off whether it's the next day or 2 weeks later. And it's not one of those products that claims to be "non toxic and eco friendly", but is inferior compared to it's traditional competition. It works just as well as any other covering system and covers all of the specs for STC'd covering.

I believe all of their instructional videos are on YouTube. Makes it real easy to learn the process.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 10-12-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Brian,

You probably already know Stewart sells a fabric "practice" kit with everything you need to cover a small test panel. I purchased the kit before deciding to use Oratex. If you are interested in trying it, PM your address and I'll ship it to you. Probably has to go via Ground so it will take a few days.

http://www.stewartsystems.aero/produ...c-practice-kit
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrybark View Post
    Brian,

You probably already know Stewart sells a fabric "practice" kit with everything you need to cover a small test panel. I purchased the kit before deciding to use Oratex. If you are interested in trying it, PM your address and I'll ship it to you. Probably has to go via Ground so it will take a few days.

http://www.stewartsystems.aero/produ...c-practice-kit
    Thank You...........I sent you a private message.

Polyfiber sells a similar kit. You can buy it from Aircraft Spruce. You could get a legit side-by-side comparison and report back.
    link to polyfiber kit

Anyone know if there’s an issue using the Stewart system with the poly fiber fabric? Having some trouble finding an official answer on that.

Quote Originally Posted by fathom View Post
    Anyone know if there’s an issue using the Stewart system with the poly fiber fabric? Having some trouble finding an official answer on that.
    From what I was told, the Stewart system is fine to use, it's all basically the same fabric. Just call Stewart and they'll tell you in a second. I'm hoping to attend a 3 day covering course on the Stewart system in Southern Ca the first part of Dec. I've done several fabric covering jobs over the years, but never with the Stewart system, looking forward to it.
    Brian

I haven’t got the chance to work with one or the other but my friend has. the first time that he work with the Stewart system it was really great and easy the second time it was in a different hanger and the heating system was in oil fuel one and some little droplets of Oil or oily soot deposit on the surface. it repel the water base product making littles fish eyes on the surface so if you are using a water base system be careful of the heating system that you choose because it can be frustrating.
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.