Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin G5

Default Re: Garmin G5

I agree that minimal instruments are not "needed" to fly VFR, I guess I am liking the option to keep current on how to use these instruments.

That AV-30 instrument looks very cool. I did manage to find a price at about 1600. Still for two, that is 3200 (one for pitch and one for DG) I guess you could use one and just swap back and forth, but having dedicated displays is nice IMHO.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas all! It's very good to be learning so much about these topics.

Russ must really appreciate my panel then.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by tjentzsch View Post
    That AV-30 instrument looks very cool. I did manage to find a price at about 1600. Still for two, that is 3200 (one for pitch and one for DG) I guess you could use one and just swap back and forth, but having dedicated displays is nice IMHO.
    If you are going to spend $3200 then you aren't very far from getting something like a basic Garmin G3X package which gives you so much more than those two instruments do.

I would be more likely to get two Garmin G5 instruments before getting the AV-30s. That would only $2400.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I agree. As I understand it though, the cost of the G3X is just for the unit. There is then the extra expense for the various modules one needs to gain full functionalist correct? If I understand it correctly, it's somewhere like an additional 1400 (EMU and the AHRS control unit) that is needed. ~6000k for what one needs for the G3X to function fully, if I understand correctly?

Have you looked at the MGL Stratomaster XTreme? It has the functionality as you are looking at for the G5 (with more features) at less expense, even including the additional modules.

Plus MGL is an advertiser on this site helping to cove the expenses of maintaining this forum. (Look on the left column.)

Ralph

I will have a look, thank you.

If I were building a vfr panel now I would put in 1 G5. Everything you need for vfr and enough to get you out of the clouds of you happen to need it.
    JimS